Thread: Searching for uncorrected articles

Searching for uncorrected articles

How can I search for newspaper articles that haven't been corrected yet? There must be lots but I'm sick of hunting for them!

Try adding a Trove web feed to your browser. I have web feeds for words related to my research interests. This way whenever a name, place or event pops up on the OCR I'm alerted instantly to the fresh article.

Prolific poster
    Since 2014 there is a new search function that will help to find uncorrected articles. Users are now able to search for, or exclude, articles that have had text corrections, e.g.:

prebyterian NOT has:corrections

This will find all articles that contain the misspelled or mistranslated text of "prebyterian" AND have received no text corrections.

This functionality is described in the Help pages here:
    http://help.nla.gov.au/trove/using-t...pers#anchor-10

However, be aware that this search will exclude all articles with any form of correction, no matter how minimal.

Bear in mind though that the indexing process includes all words in the articles themselves, the comments and tags, as well as the text of the 'snippets'/abstracts - i.e. the headings and first four lines of the general news article. These abstracts are entered manually and often contain mistakes, so if you cannot see your misspelled/mistranslated word in the article, comments or tags, then it is likely to be in the 'snippet'/abstract. To see the abstracts go to the Page View (use 'View all articles on this page' button) and the article headings and abstracts are shown down the left of the page.

Note: words or names that are actually misspelled in the original newspaper article are NOT to be corrected within the text translation lines. Add a comment box to note mistakes if necessary, where the correct spelling should be stated, including the full correct name or full phrase, so that they can be found in a search.
    Last edited by Spearth; 06-01-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Nice feature, and excellent tip and explanation. Could this tip be added to Trove > Search tips > Trove help centre: Searching guide under the existing sub-heading, Construct complex searches using 'AND', 'OR' and 'NOT' ?

Prolific poster
    Hi Gato,

This search feature is already described in the Help Pages as per the link above ("Searching in Newspapers"), which is found under the 'Digitised Newspapers and Gazettes' section of Help.

The search tips you refer to in Help are general search tips for all of the Trove zones - the 'has:corrections' option only applies to 'Digitised Newspapers and Gazettes'.