English, Article, Journal or magazine article edition: Evaluating the Impact of Eligibility for Free Care on the Use of GP Services in Ireland: A Difference-in-Difference Matching Approach Nolan, Anne

User activity

Share to:
 
Bookmark: http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/89466
Physical Description
  • preprint
Language
  • English

Edition details

Title
  • Evaluating the Impact of Eligibility for Free Care on the Use of GP Services in Ireland: A Difference-in-Difference Matching Approach
Author
  • Nolan, Anne
Physical Description
  • preprint
Notes
  • In Ireland, approximately 30 per cent of the population (“medical card patients”) are entitled to free GP care while the remaining 70 per cent (“private patients”) must pay the full cost of each visit. While previous research has analysed the effect of this system on GP visiting patterns using regression methods, to date, no attempt has been made to apply techniques from the treatment evaluation literature to this issue. Treatment evaluation techniques are commonly employed when observations are not randomly assigned to treatment and control groups; this is certainly the case here, as the primary criterion for medical card eligibility is an income below a specified income threshold (and individuals may also be granted medical cards for other reasons such as chronic ill-health). In this paper, we extend previous Irish research, which has analysed the effect of medical card eligibility on GP visiting using regression methods, to consider the use of difference-in-difference matching methods, which allow us to control for non-random selection into treatment and control groups, as well as unobserved differences in characteristics between individuals in both groups. The results are largely consistent with earlier results using pooled cross-sectional and panel data, and confirm that medical card eligibility exerts a significant effect on GP visiting, even after controlling for observed and unobserved differences in characteristics between medical card and private patients.
  • hrb
  • RePEc:esr:wpaper:hrb25
Language
  • English
Contributed by
OAIster

Get this edition

Other links

  • Set up My libraries

    How do I set up "My libraries"?

    In order to set up a list of libraries that you have access to, you must first login or sign up. Then set up a personal list of libraries from your profile page by clicking on your user name at the top right of any screen.

  • All (1)
  • Unknown (1)
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.

User activity


e.g. test cricket, Perth (WA), "Parkes, Henry"

Separate different tags with a comma. To include a comma in your tag, surround the tag with double quotes.

Be the first to add a tag for this edition

Be the first to add this to a list

Comments and reviews

What are comments? Add a comment

No user comments or reviews for this version

Add a comment