The role of physical processes in mangrove environments : manual for the preservation and utilization of mangrove ecosystems / edited by Yoshihiro Mazda, Eric Wolanski and Peter V. Ridd
Being a scientific society with a vested interest in the protection and restoration of mangroves
and other coastal environments, it is with great pride that The International Society for Mangrove
Ecosystems (ISME) provides the foreword to this important new work. In recognising the
economic and ecological importance of mangrove forests and ecosystems, we have a responsibility
to provide the means to sustainably manage and protect this vital coastal resource for future
Edited by three outstanding mangrove experts—Prof. Y. Mazda, Dr. E. Wolanski and Dr.
P.V. Ridd—this book targets members of the scientific community who are interested in the
preservation and sustainable utilisation of mangrove forests. The book has set itself five principal
1) To instruct mangrove researchers and engineers in developing countries on the physical
processes taking place in the mangrove environment;
2) To encourage students to undertake studies of physical processes in mangrove areas;
3) To make coastal physical researchers recognise the peculiarity of mangrove physics;
4) To show the physical mechanisms that have been solved and need to be solved; and
5) To save research time by providing ready access to scientific articles and papers that appear
in diverse media in different countries.
As reliable information is fundamental to the long-term health of mangrove ecosystems,
ISME believes that this book will provide and contribute to the strengthening of scientific
understanding, as well as the development and exchange of essential data and information
required for the conservation, restoration and management of mangrove forests. The information
developed and provided in the book constitutes a vital new resource for effective decision-making
and policy formulation in the sustainable management of all mangrove ecosystems.