1960, English, Article edition: Cell Division and Expansion in the Growth of the Leaf SUNDERLAND, N.

User activity

Share to:
 
Bookmark: http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/206318
Physical Description
  • text/​html
Published
  • Oxford University Press
  • 1960-02-01 00:00:00.0
Language
  • English

Edition details

Title
  • Cell Division and Expansion in the Growth of the Leaf
Author
  • SUNDERLAND, N.
Published
  • Oxford University Press
  • 1960-02-01 00:00:00.0
Physical Description
  • text/​html
Subjects
Notes
  • Volumes and numbers of cells were determined at different stages of development of the fifth leaf of Lupinus albus , and each of the second pair and the tenth leaf of Helianthus annuus . In the case of the second pair of sunflower leaves the values cover the whole life of the leaf from initiation to senescence. During both primordial development and the ensuing ‘grand period of growth’ division is the determinant of growth. About 10 per cent. of the cells in the fully grown leaf are laid down before leaf-emergence; the remaining 90 per cent. are formed during unfolding. Division does not cease in the lupin leaf or the second pair of sunflower leaves until they have reached half their maximum area. The tenth leaf, on the other hand, is as much as three-quarters fully grown before division ceases. Cell expansion commences soon after leaf initiation and continues throughout the life of the leaf. With lupin and the second pair of sunflower leaves there is a fourfold increase in the average volume of the cells before emergence from the apical region. During unfolding, there is a further tenfold increase in the average volume of the cells of the lupin leaf, and a twentyfold increase with the second pair of sunflower leaves. Expansion continues after the cessation of division but this further increase in volume is comparatively small. The data are discussed in relation to the ‘two phase’ hypothesis of leaf development.
Terms of Use
  • Copyright (C) 1960, Society for Experimental Biology
Language
  • English
Contributed by
OAIster

Get this edition

With access conditions

  • Set up My libraries

    How do I set up "My libraries"?

    In order to set up a list of libraries that you have access to, you must first login or sign up. Then set up a personal list of libraries from your profile page by clicking on your user name at the top right of any screen.

  • All (1)
  • Unknown (1)
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.
None of your libraries hold this item.

User activity


e.g. test cricket, Perth (WA), "Parkes, Henry"

Separate different tags with a comma. To include a comma in your tag, surround the tag with double quotes.

Be the first to add a tag for this edition

Be the first to add this to a list

Comments and reviews

What are comments? Add a comment

No user comments or reviews for this version

Add a comment