|Article||Changed||Old lines||New lines|
|No title (Article), The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Tuesday 12 October 1858 [Issue No.1,240] page 4||2017-04-21 07:29||has ' dined with a thousand persons on the
gold-fields' — but he is sensible that he has dis
would, doubtless, give the world for 'ono
cheer more !' It would relieve his un
surely ' conscience makes cowards of
us all.' Fudge and cajolery cannot
gloss over artifice and deception. In thi3
impotent as other people. Tho great ' O '
through all classe» of the community.
recess has been, in a great degree, de
tj rcjoico iu the possession of a model Govern
ment. The days of tho 'incapables' wore
a pre3criptivo right to public virtue, and our
Minister barter tho public revenue for tho
applau30 of self-seeking deputations. Thus
tho patronage of the Government became a mat
populace. .Under theso circumstances can we
servient Government with venal popularity 1
much to say that such is tho position of tho
office to tho gratification of personal malice
who pursue the vocation of tho demagogue l
mo3t contemptible passions. They have, never
end3 the Government employs every available
disreputable to securo its desires. It upholds
it is dishonorable and unprincipled to opposo
tha Ministry. Tho Chief Secretary
is not satisfied with tho' result of hi3
fields constituencies. His efforts at pro
integrity, Tho claims of conscientious con
victions aud honorablo motives aro held up to
vulgaor censure and reprehension. This is the
key-noto struck in high quarters, nnd obse
and slanders at tho humor of their unprinci
pled taskmasters. The Argus has the effron
tery to doclare that tho Opposition aro
the disreputable statement from all moral con
What are the wage3, wo renture to ask our
aervilcras? In the face of the ' bald lio ' our
joui.-nali8t will hardly expect to be .regarded an
ho'aeafc man ! Does tha'fiwfe of hit own degra
dation make him ferocious too 1 A worthy
instrument must be highly priced 1 His zeal
betrays an insano fidelity 1 At least, it amounts
not disposed to accopt a3 a favor or an act of
This mode of attaching tho independent
in a journal that boasts itself the ' Ireland's
organ.' It conjures the digging constituencies
doubtless their duty to do bo, but tho dis
undermining the reputation of tho repre
sentatives. It is tho skulking stilleto
method of traducing men ' whose ends
are honesty and public good' — which
O'Shanassy- and Ireland furnished as the
of double-dealing. ' Tho drowning catch at
straws.' But the people aro not to
bo gulled into tho belief that all are
Government. Tho Constitution confers privi
Tho Opposition is the safeguard of the people's
with the preservation of au upright and un
daunted legislature. The Parliament must bo
freo a3 the air wo breathe. We must not
freedom. Tho Ministry can disarm its adver
sures, but yicious clamor will not preserve a
the country. ?
|has "dined with a thousand persons on the
gold-fields" — but he is sensible that he has dis-
would, doubtless, give the world for "one
cheer more !" It would relieve his un-
surely "conscience makes cowards of
us all." Fudge and cajolery cannot
gloss over artifice and deception. In this
impotent as other people. The great " O "
through all classes of the community.
recess has been, in a great degree, de-
to rejoice the possession of a model Govern-
ment. The days of the "incapables" were
a prescriptive right to public virtue, and our
Minister barter tho public revenue for the
applause of self-seeking deputations. Thus
tho patronage of the Government became a mat-
populace. Under these circumstances can we
servient Government with venal popularity ?
much to say that such is tho position of the
office to the gratification of personal malice
who pursue the vocation of the demagogue !
most contemptible passions. They have, never-
ends the Government employs every available
disreputable to secure its desires. It upholds
it is dishonorable and unprincipled to oppose
the Ministry. The Chief Secretary
is not satisfied with the result of his
fields constituencies. His efforts at pro-
integrity, The claims of conscientious con-
victions aud honorable motives are held up to
vulgar censure and reprehension. This is the
key-note struck in high quarters, and obse-
and slanders at the humor of their unprinci-
pled taskmasters. The Argus has the effron-
tery to declare that the Opposition are
the disreputable statement from all moral con-
What are the wages, wo renture to ask our
serices ? In the face of the 'bald lie" our
journalist will hardly expect to be regarded an
honest man ! Does the fact of his own degra-
dation make him ferocious too ! A worthy
instrument must be highly priced ! His zeal
betrays an insane fidelity ! At least, it amounts
not disposed to accept as a favor or an act of
This mode of attaching the independent
in a journal that boasts itself the "Ireland's
organ." It conjures the digging constituencies
doubtless their duty to do bo, but the dis-
undermining the reputation of the repre-
sentatives. It is the skulking stilleto
method of traducing men "whose ends
are honesty and public good" — which
O'SHANASSY and IRELAND furnished as the
of double-dealing. "The drowning catch at
straws." But the people are not to
be gulled into the belief that all are
Government. The Constitution confers privi-
The Opposition is the safeguard of the people's
with the preservation of au upright and un-
daunted legislature. The Parliament must be
free the air we breathe. We must not
freedom. Tho Ministry can disarm its adver-
sures, but vicious clamor will not preserve a
|No title (Article), The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Tuesday 12 October 1858 [Issue No.1,240] page 4||2017-04-21 07:19||OCTOBER 12th 1858
||OCTOBER 12th, 1858.
|No title (Article), The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Tuesday 12 October 1858 [Issue No.1,240] page 4||2017-04-21 07:18||October 12 1858
||OCTOBER 12th 1858
|2017-04-21 07:18||driven to meet the representatives of the peo
O'Shanassy and Co. made up their minds to !
UOOOIU1MU UUUUIOUIU ./ ' '
Secretary and his colleagues liave their work j
|driven to meet the representatives of the peo-
O'SHANASSY and Co. made up their minds to
assemble honorable members. They were
Secretary and his colleagues liave their work
|2017-04-21 07:17||The Age
October 12 1858
|Family Notices (Family Notices), The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Tuesday 12 October 1858 [Issue No.1,240] page 4||2017-04-21 07:10||Mortimer, [Richmond.
|Advertising (Advertising), The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 5 May 1856 [Issue No.3089] page 6||2017-04-20 19:18||Kilda. Plans and specification to bo seen at
tho 8th inst. David Hoss.aichitect.Mackcnzic
Ftreet, near Supremo Court. " 305 may 8
W""ANTED"Tenders for Slating a Villa.
David Rosa, architect, Muckunzie
rtrcet, near Supreme Court. 80S
David Ross, architect, Mackenzie
street, near Supremo Court. 307
|Kilda. Plans and specification to be seen at
the 8th inst. David Ross, architect. Mackenzie-
street, near Supreme Court. ____305 may 8
WANTED Tenders for Slating a Villa.
David Ross, architect, Mackenzie-
street, near Supreme Court. ____306
David Ross, architect, Mackenzie-
street, near Supreme Court. ____307
|Advertising (Advertising), The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Thursday 29 April 1858 [Issue No.3707] page 8||2017-04-20 19:03||ST. K1LDA.—Mr. WM. COX having taken the com-
||ST. KILDA.—Mr. WM. COX having taken the com-
|Advertising (Advertising), The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Friday 28 June 1861 [Issue No.4,702] page 8||2017-04-20 19:02||ST. KILDA EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE, Argylo
strcot weat. Only a limited number of pupil i
received. Some VACANCIES for DAY SOUOLAttS,
and ona for a junior boardor, nt £14 per quartor.
A. Kent, Eeq, M.A., Oxford. Ola«"iio»l Mastor.
|ST. KILDA EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE, Argyle
street west. Only a limited number of pupils
received. Some VACANCIES for DAY SCHOLARS,
and oea for a junior boarder, at £14 per quarter.
A. Kent, Eeq, M.A., Oxford, Classical Master.
|Advertising (Advertising), The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Saturday 12 January 1861 [Issue No.4,560] page 3||2017-04-20 19:00||French Master- Mr. Chas. N. Cornillon.
Assistant Mastsr- Mr. J. M. Thompson.
1st and 2nd Classes- Day scholars .. 3p. 3s. 0
Boarders .. .. 16p. 18s.0
3rd and 4th Classes- Day scholars .. 3p. 13s. 6
Boarders .. .. l8p. 18s. 0
|French Master—Mr. Chas. N. Cornillon.
Assistant Master— Mr. J. E. Thompson.
1st and 2nd Classes— Day scholars .. £3. 3. 0
Boarders .. .. £16. 18.0
3rd and 4th Classes- Day scholars .. £3. 13. 6
Boarders .. .. £18. 18. 0
Read the merging and splitting guidelines.
Newson’s origins remain somewhat of a mystery. In Victoria; his name first appeared in a 1842 directory and colonial newspapers report him practising in Melbourne for a period with James Blackburn. The firm: Newson and Blackburn, operated between December 1849 and March 1851. Perhaps their most well known achievements being the architect for St. Enoch's Presbyterian Church, Collins street, and the St. Stephen's Anglican Church, Richmond. Following the end of the partnership Newson, it appears, soon turned his hand mainly to surveying where his name appears on several subdivision plans.
While researching local history across the Parish of Mulgrave; Arthur Newson, surveyor, was found on the following estate-plans namely: - Kensington, South Oakleigh (including between Atherton road and Portman street, Oakleigh), Coleraine, and Waverley.
These however are by no means the full extent of Newson's surveys in Victoria, which also include: - Little Brighton, Eltham, Ballan . . .
It was reported in May 1854 that Newson left Melbourne for places unknown.
The List is arranged in two parts; (a) dedicated to Andrew, (b) dedicated to William.
GARDINER, OAKLEIGH and MULGRAVE
Trove and Genealogy inform there were three Bates brothers known to these districts.
John George BATES (1827 – 1888), drayman
Andrew BATES (1835 – 1887), contractor, tollkeeper
William Samuel BATES (1839 – 1905), drayman, dairyman
John arrived in the Gardiner - Oakleigh district in c1856, followed by Andrew in c1861 and William temporally in c1870.
John and Andrew were probably tenants during their early years. John eventually purchased land on Poath road, and Andrew later settled on 5 acres of freehold between Westbrook Street, Oakleigh and Sandy creek.
As found below; Trove informs Andrew Bates senior was initially a private contractor (road building) winning contracts in both the Gardiner and Mulgrave municipalities, and later won contracts as tollkeeper on the Scotchman’s Creek road.
[ Refer Scotchman’s Creek Road List for more information http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=72527 ]
Bates’ son, Andrew, had known association with James Dempsey as dairymen.
The Bates siblings were natives of County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. John arrived with his sister Ann, in 1850. Andrew arrived with wife Isabella Richie in 1856, and possibly along with William. William married Honoria Carroll in 1862.
MOUNTFIELD FARM, Warrigal road, Gardiner (Oakleigh)
At its peak this farm occupied some 120 acres and straddled, Batesford and Warrigal roads. Its origins began in March 1870 when Melbourne dairyman, William Samuel Bates, purchased a piece of land (CPs 188 to 191, parish of Prahran) from, auctioneer and land speculator, William Easey.
Wm. S. Bates added CP 187 and two allotments on CP 45, parish of Mulgrave in 1875. Further research is required to establish whether William built the weatherboard “Mountfied” homestead fronting Warrigal road, however, he appears to have made it his prime residence in c1887. (Having moved from Little Bourke street, Melbourne.) In April 1878 Wm S. Bates sold a portion of CP 188, one chain wide, to the Gardiner and Oakleigh shires, for the opening up of Warrigal road. [Refer Warrigal Road - Gardiner's Creek List http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=72011 ] An advertised ‘Clearance Sale’ in June 1897 probably describes this dairy-farm at its peak. Glimpses of the old ‘Mountfield’ homestead can be had when carefully viewing old photographs (mostly aerial) of the Holmesglen district.
BATESFORD ROAD, Chadstone
J. B. Cooper** associated the name of this road with a milk-man named Andrew Bates, yet, there is no primary-evidence in land records to support this. However, such evidence points directly to William S. BATES (Mountfield farm) as the appropriate the candidate. Do the Malvern Rate Books reveal the existence of a tenant named Smith in this vicinity? Meanwhile in the search for Smith; researchers and historians should not overlook local activities on CP 45, parish of Mulgrave.
For example; in May 1855, James John Smith, labourer, Prahran, purchased 5 acres (fronting a proposed Government road) from John Collings. Mr. J. J. Smith turned those acres into a market-garden, remaining at that address until his death in 1889. By coincidence, Smith’s land lay exactly opposite a thoroughfare leading to Scotchman’s creek (Waverley) road. But to gain access to said road Smith needed to first traverse a shallow tributary to Gardiner’s Creek, which, in wet weather, flowed across a yet unmade Warrigal road. (Recognised to-day as the intersection of Batesford and Warrigal roads). The possibility then arises. Was this road-crossing Smith’s Ford, and did the road leading to it inherit the name? According to Trove the Batesford tag probably appeared after Smith’s death in 1889.
Footnote: **History of the City of Malvern, Chapter VI, pages 63 & 64.
This is not a comprehensive history of the Clipper yacht IRIS, (rigged as a Cutter) but rather a summary of events that are associated with the early history of Australia. Beginning with its arrival in Hobson's Bay, in the district of Port Phillip, to sailing the South Seas in the Pacific Ocean.
Insofar as the history of the colony of Victoria, and in particular the parish of Boroondara, historians past-and-present have attributed the naming of the suburb "Glen Iris" to Captain Thomas Henderson, R.N. and this vessel.
[ Link to Trove List on Thomas HENDERSON http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70008 ]
Dennis Flatman, bachelor, Suffolk, England, bricklayer, 27years, St. Kilda, and Jane Webb, spinster, Kent, England, dressmaker, 24 years, Windsor, were married in the parish of Prahran on the 31st March, 1857.
William Dennis Flatman was their only child to survive beyond infancy.
Newspaper articles inform that Flatman worked his way from bricklayer to forming his own business as a builder – contractor, and in ca1882 he incorporated the business trading under the signage: D. Flatman & Son, Builders & Contractors.
In the pursuit of local-history; research reveals William Dennis Flatman became the registered owner of land on part Crown Portion 31 (parish of Mulgrave) during August, 1909. The previous owner of those circa 22 acres was Saw Mill employee, James Hill, of North Melbourne. Included in the sale of the property was a right-of-way along its western boundary, and during W. D. Flatman's time the easement became known as Stanley avenue. By December 1910 William had become the registered owner of three other parcels, which adjoined the eastern boundary of the first. The three where part of the ‘Amstel Park’, and two of those three pieces included lots 11 and 12. The third piece (to the north) was part of lot 1 on the said estate.
[Refer link : http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/166361 ]
As time passed Flatman's collection of land became known as “Grandview Estate”, and perhaps the earliest record of this came in 1911 following the death of Dennis Flatman’s sister, Marion Flatman.
Between early 1911 and 1921, W. D. Flatman made large improvements to his property located on the northeast corner of Stanley avenue and Ferntree Gully road, Oakleigh. [Refer link : http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/169702 ]
The naming of residents, or tenants, of the three dwellings shown on the 1921 plan have yet to be revealed.
Certificates of Title: volume and folio: - 3352/259; 3437/229; 3433/456
Charles Ferdinand Edward ZORN was a native of Germany. He was born in Berlin on 25th February 1821 to Charles Zorn and Mina Schmidt. Edward's childhood is a mystery, as is the year he left Germany for England.However, it is known he left England, for Australia, in December 1852. He was 31 years of age and an Unassisted Passenger aboard the vessel: Jane Mitchell. It is assumed that during the voyage he met fellow german, Edward Haselden. On disembarking; Zorn and Hasleden soon headed for the diggings and arrived in Fryer's Creek with another named Bardwell. It is assumed the trio attempted mining and perhaps it was the lack of quick success which resulted in Zorn and Haselden soon returning to Melbourne. The trades or professions of these men is unknown, however, on their return to Melbourne they immediately set about becoming - Produce Handlers.
Below is an collection of newspaper articles associated with Edward Zorn.
The forerunner to the 'Fawkner Club Hotel', Toorak Road, South Yarra, was the 'South Melbourne Hotel', with its earlier address being; Gardiner's Creek Road.
The first to apply for a license for this house was its owner; farmer and brickmaker, William Stevenson.
[ Link here http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=62649 to more on William STEVENSON ]
As farmland gradually gave-way to suburbs in the old Shire of Mulgrave there is one post WWI Estate which continues to stir interest for locals and historians alike. It's name was "Glen Alive Estate".
However, when considering the history of the Mt.Waverley district this name appeared on two unconnected occasions, with its actual origins beginning with Arthur Peck's "Glen Alvie" farm which fronted High street road. (see List 1.)
The first time the name "Glen Alvie Estate" appeared in Mt. Waverley was in 1916 and referred to the sale of 12 small farms. The subdivision of Peck's "Glen Alive" property. (see List 2.)
Mr G.S. Frean's use of the name "Glen Alvie" in 1919; (see List 3) is describing the sale of three adjoining allotments which were previously part of Peck's 1916 subdivision.
The registration of the "Mount Waverley Estates Pty. Ltd." in 1928 is possibly a signal that the name "Glen Alive Estate" was about to be used for the second time in Mt. Waverley. (see Lists 4 and 5.)
The name "Glen Alvie Estates Pty. Ltd" may be another name for "Mount Waverley Estates Pty. Ltd." (see List 6.)
The company names which appear in voluntary liquidation in 1935 did, at one point in time, have a combined interested in the success of more well known "Glen Alvie Estate". (see List 8.)
The calling of tenders for roadworks by the Shire of Mulgrave in 1929 (see List 5.) is probably the one part in the history of which captures the most interest, because of the remnants it left behind.
Those remnants of the grand-plan remain on the landscape, and the concrete roads are perhaps its most lingering and noticeable legacy. These extracts from old newspapers do not describe the complete history, but add important layers to what was once imagined.
The origins of this estate appear in the list on Captain Thomas Henderson, R.N. [ http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70008 ] and on the earliest Boroondara parish plans it known as: Crown Portion B, Section 1. This was later changed to: Crown Portion 137B.
James Murray (publican ? ) followed Henderson as the next owner of the Glen Iris Estate in 1852, and he soon conveyed those 273 acres to Messrs George Mathew and Donald Mackenzie. However, like Murray, the pair do not appear to have made residence there. We are therefore left to assume they leased the farm-residence Henderson established, and hired contractors to clear (or improve) the remaining estate ready for future development. Mathew and Mackenzie eventually subdivided the 273 acres into 22 allotments. The first allotment sold off-the-plan in October 1854 with sales continuing until May 1858. During that time period Henry Luxford established a dairy-farm on circa 29 acres on the S.E. corner of Albion road and High street. He was probably the first owner-settler to emerge from those land-sales. December of that year arrived (further south of Luxford) a gardener named Thomas Robinson. who as the years progressed, owning, or leasing, additional land on the estate.
The exact year Melbourne merchant, Robert Kent, made his residence in Thomas Henderson’s original homestead is unknown. However, it is known that during September 1855 Kent laid claim to six adjoining allotments, totalling about 93 acres, located between Albion road and Gardiner’s creek. N.B. It is wrong to assume Kent actually owned those acres outright. The Kent family probably left the district in 1865.
More on the life of Robert Kent, merchant, can be followed in a separate list. [ http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70895 ]
The regular publication of newpaper articles regarding, or relating to, this railway line aids the recording of history.
It could be said that its total length, from Melbourne, had two major phases in its history. Beginning with the days of steam locomotion and then under electrical power. The construction of the line, as far as Glen Waverley, was not the foresight of Government, but came about after many years of lobbying from the local councils. Follow the journey here.
To-day this green-patch lies in the City of Glen Eira, however, its origins began as Portion 221, Parish of Prahran, County of Bourke measuring 19 acres, 3 roods, 19 perches. Melbourne land agent, William Jones, was granted the allotment in May 1857, and soon it sold to a syndicate of Melbourne oil merchants.
In early 1859 the circa 20 acres caught the eye of Hobart man, William George Lempriere, who settled the purchase with access of carriage-way along which to-day is known as Meadow Street.
Lempriere, and his young wife, soon set about establishing a home on those circa 20 acres, but the financial burden of doing so probably caused the advertisement (List item 1) to appear in 1861. A tenant did not materialize; resulting in, Lempriere the mortgagee, and his wife, raising a family on the farm they named "Greenmeadows."
John Thomson Esq., of Keilambete, near Terang, gained freehold of "Greenmeadows" in 1877. By the time of his death in 1890 Thomson also owned the adjoining Crown Portion 226.
It is assumed here that the garden, which had supported Greenmeadows farm for many years, became neglected following the premature death of William Lempriere in 1887 (List item 5) and by the time the City of Caulfield took an interest in those circa 3 acres the old garden held the appearance of - a cow paddock.
A splendid description of how the old garden was transformed is found in the newspaper article attached to List Item 9. Subsequent history of the work of gardener, Robert Williams, and a dedicated group of local residents is uncovered in List Items 10 and 11.
Readers wishing to gain an insight to the approximate dimensions of the old Crown Portion 221 can make Greenmeadows Lane its western-boundary, and its northern and southern boundaries are formed by extending the same boundary-lines of Greenmeadows Gardens east as far as Orrong Road.
The brick villa known as "Greenmeadows" (Lot 33 on the plan and mentioned in List Item 6, and MMBW Plan No.1436) was purchased by Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda, baker, William Dalziel Robertson, who bequeathed the property (19 Meadow Street) to his daughter, Margaret C. MacGregor. Roberton also owned about 62 acres of farmland in Wheeler's Hill, Mulgrave, known as "Bellendeen".
Parish of Prahran Map: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/103077
MMBW Plan No. 1436: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/124926
William Dalziel ROBERTSON : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=54397
TROVE – is rich with articles highlighting the charitable works of Lady Margaret McCULLOCH, and in particular her philanthropy in association with the “Convalescent Home for Women” in Caulfield. Yet, what is known of the history of the property Lady McCulloch acquired? This List endeavours to reveal that history. Beginning with known information about “The Home” which was best summarized in an article published in “The Argus” newspaper in February 1876 [List 1] The article reveals; location, description of house and surroundings, and name of previous owner.
History of Land Ownership :--
A certificate of tile search reveals “The Home” was located on part of Crown Portion 247, in the Parish of Prahran, County of Bourke.
Josiah Morris HOLLOWAY was granted CP 247 on January 4th, 1854, and advertised same for sale in 1857. [List 2] The purchaser of those 8 acres was one Thomas GORRINGE, gentleman, Tasmania, who can probably be accredited with having employed a licensed surveyor to produce a sub-division plan. The survey resulted in the creation of over 61 allotments, which were advertised for sale in April 1858. [List 3]
Research reveals Gorringe sold those (62) allotments in five (5) parcels to the following men: - James WALLIS, Melbourne, Timber Merchant; John Bonney CARR, Melbourne, gentleman; Charles MURRAY, Melbourne, gentleman; Charles Edward BERTHEAU, Melbourne, Merchant; and James Walter Douglas ROCHE, Melbourne, merchant. [More information on ROCHE can be found in Trove List http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=65584 ]
During November 1858, Roche purchased allotments 36, 37, 38 and 44, 45, 46, fronting Kooyong road, upon which he established a 4-bedroomed brick home etc. [List 4] Then between the years 1858 and 1864; Roche acquire several neighbouring properties, which resulted in his owning over 7 acres in total. Given that Roche and his wife sold-up in August 1864 and returned to England; it is unknown whether the couple held major plans for the increased real-estate, and planned to call it “Woodcraft”.
Titled “Woodcraft”; a plan drawing a - remanent perhaps of a dream - survives in the State Library, Victoria, Archives.
Freehold ownership of the property between the James W. D. Roche years and Lady Margaret McCulloch can be proven.
This Trove List focuses only on HCV subdivisions in Ashburton (Alamein) and Mulgrave (Holmesglen – Jordanville). It assists the accurate capture of history during the earliest years of those subdivisions.
ASHBURTON: (Alamein) – Under the provisions of the 1943 Housing Act the first piece of Ashburton land purchased by HCV was during 1943, (vol.6633/fol.446) and with the majority thereof being purchased during 1944. One contentious piece of land acquired by the HCV was the ‘Austral Bronze’ land-exchange in 1944. By mid-1945 housing plans for 1000 dwelling at Ashburton were underway. The construction of the first 12 brick homes began in November 1946. It was in February 1947, the first homes were completed, and local council announced the planned extension of the railway line from Ashburton. The purpose of the extension; to service the new HCV Estate. The naming for “Alamein” railway station was announced in September 1947.
MULGRAVE: (Holmesglen – Jordanville) – The proposition that the HCV began acquiring land for the ‘Jordanville estates’ in 1947, and that the construction of homes therein was to satisfy the post WWII baby boom, is a gross simplification of the facts. Comparing newspaper reports, of the day, with land title searches; produces the following summary and actual purpose for the construction of those houses. In reality; the shortage of habitable dwellings to house even the ‘average tenant’ had become acute by the end of 1944. The desperate situation forced its Minister, in February 1945, to plead for patience. Insofar as ‘Jordanville’ is concerned; it was during 1944 that Mrs Power’s 50 acres on the “Wet Spot” (fronting Gardiner’s Creek) that became the first HCV land purchased in that district. Subsequent purchases soon followed resulting in all HCV ‘Jordanville’ land being acquired by the end of circa 1953. (NB: dates of title transfer are not purchase dates). The HCV ‘Jordanville’ estate is found under Certificate vol.8273/fol.054; and the ‘Jordanville South’ estate under Certificate vol.8315/fol.129.
Silverman was a native of Russia. He was born in Zvenyhorodka, in central Ukraine, in 1816. He immigrated to the British Isles and is believed to have studied Theology in Scotland prior to moving to London where he studied medicine. It is assumed he married Eliza PALMER, during the early 1850s and records they are husband and wife is supplied in two documents. (i) 1851 UK Census, residents of Marylebone, London; (ii) Court proceeding at the "Old Bailey" in case of Mary SULLIVAN, Reference Number: t18520510-536, dated May 1852. It was later in 1852 that James and Eliza Silverman, immigrated to Australia. Voyaging with the couple were Eliza's sister, Mrs Sarah Maria WYNNE, wife of Edward Agar WYNNE
Doctor James Silverman, his wife, and in-laws arrived to the Colony of Victoria in February 1853 aboard the vessel: KOH-I-NOR.
Silverman’s first known residential address in Australia was Franklin Street, Melbourne, opposite Mac’s Hotel. It was in Melbourne that he meet Irishman, William O’FARRELL, who probably arrived, with his family, in circa 1840, and by September 1846 had became an Auctioneer and Commission Agent. O’Farrell was a successful bidder at Crown Land auctions, and like so many Crown grantees he looked to profit from his land acquisitions. O’Farrell discovered the newly arrived Silverman was a keen customer prepared to speculate with land. However, Silverman first needed to be a naturalised citizen, and achieved this by October 1853 when purchasing his first parcel of land in Parish of Nillumbik from an O’Farrell family member.
Primary and secondary evidence indicates Silverman initially formed two financial partnerships in the pursuance of land purchase. One was with his brother-in-law, Edward Agar WYNNE, the other was with a Melbourne, merchant, Morris LEVY.
Insofar as the history of the Parish of Mulgrave is concerned; William O’Farrell became grantee to Crown Portions: 3, 9, 12 and 62, which he conveyed to Silverman and Levy at various levels of profit in late 1853. Land conveyancing documents indicate the February 1854 newspaper article for “Silverman and Wynne’s Estate, parish of Mulgrave” relates to a parcel of land in Crown Portion 2.
The September 1854 newspaper article mentioning Mr. Wynne in association with the “Yarra Steam Packet Hotel” is believed to be Edward Agar Wynne, brother-in-law to James Silverman. It was about this time that Silverman wrote to Colonial Governor explaining his brother-in-law's involvement with the said hotel. The reported “Silverman v. Cumming” court proceeding in June 1855 appears to support this.
In May 1855, Silverman had appeared in court over his land dealings with Morris Levy. “The six bills of exchange” mentioned involved land in the parishes of Mulgrave and Moorabbin etc., the pair had purchased from William O’Farrell in 1853. Generally speaking; the content of newspaper articles relating to the doctor’s failed land-dealings highlight his struggle to repay his various creditors.
It is assumed that Wynne moved to the district of Ballarat prior to Silverman, but the timing is unclear. However, newspaper articles dated 1856 implicates Silverman and Wynne in land deals in that district prior to that year.
“In the Insolvent Estate of James Silverman” dated May 27, 1857, indicates the doctor was, at the time, a resident in Melbourne.
The August 1857 newspaper article listed below strongly suggests it was very soon thereafter that Silverman left Melbourne. The March 1858 newspaper advertisement for the sale of allotments in the “Township of Waverley, Ararat” most certainly involves Silverman as title-search documents reveal. So, it can be safely assumed Silverman surveyed Ararat potential (from his Dana Street, Ballarat location) prior to moving there in May 1858. However, by September 1858, the doctor appears to have returned to his old residence in Franklin Street, Melbourne.
The many changes of address for James Silverman, M.D., are not exclusive to those posted Trove newspaper articles. Sherriff Warrants, Victoria, also list him at Collingwood and Emerald Hill.
The notice: “Death of Dr. Silverman” at Kilmore Hospital, appeared March 1865. The newspaper article dated September 1881, involving Miss A. Silverman was most likely referring to Agnes Silverman (1861-1882) whose mother was Margaret MONAHAN.
This List only offers an overview of the many Trove records for Dr. Jacob Silverman and elsewhere.
LAND SALES - Parish of Mulgrave http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=30633
James BAGGE junior was born during the early months of 1853, in the registration district of St Pancras, London, England. He was the second child to James BAGGE and Jane Young LAWSON, who married at Lambeth, Surrey, in 1850. Christian Mary BAGGE was born in 1851, at Greenwich, and in September, 1872, married, solicitor, Joseph Alfred WILMOTH, at Richmond, Victoria.
James BAGGE junior was very much an infant when he arrived in Port Phillip in August 1853, with his parents and elder sister. The family had emigrated from England as Unassisted Passengers aboard the vessel: GIBSON CRAIG.
It was the birth of Matthew Lawson BAGGE, in 1856, where we learn this family settled in Emerald Hill, at Victoria Place, (off Bank Street-west) The address is described in the memorials as: Allotment 7, Section 17, lots 5 & 6.
The location of Allotment 7, Section 17, is found on this map http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/165429.
James Bagge snr., purchased the two allotments, in Victoria Place, from Thomas Redshaw HUNT, in February 1854.
While it is understood that James Bagge junior attended school with James Hamilton REID, it is assumed here the Bagge family where residents of Richmond by the time young James attended secondary school.
The list of newspaper articles below offers some back-ground to the life of James Bagge junior. It is assumed from the content that James Bagge junior made his property, Kilverstone, Clayton road, Clayton, his primary residence.
James, the younger, was involved in the purchase to two pieces of land in parish of Mulgrave during the latter half of 1888. The first transaction was during August and involved a contract-of-sale with John BALFOUR for 40 acres on part Crown Portion 18, and the deed was memorialised the following month. (Book 350 / Memorial 308) It was early in 1891 that Bagge applied to bring that acreage under the Transfer of Lands Act. The registrar gave his case Application No. 27263. A certificate of title (vol. 2361 / fol. 108) was issued in July 1891, carrying the names of James Bagge, the younger, James Bagge and Jane Young Bagge. It is clear at this point that Bagge shared those Notting Hill acres with his parents.
The second purchase was directly opposite the first on the western-side of Clayton’s road. The 44 acres of land involved part of Crown Portion 15, where part of its southern boundary adjoining the 'Bay View Estate'. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/129812
Bagge purchased those acres from James Ballantyne and William Bell. Transfer of title was registered in December, 1888. (vol.2100 / fol. 994)
Searching the Mulgrave rates books may reveal whether Bagge and his parents had separate residences on either side of Clayton road.
His exploits as a fruit-grower are well known in local history. Yet, how did this man who began working life as a bricklayer, become a prime mover in local horticulture, and then progress to being a successful milk purveyor. This Trove List reveals many achievements of this remarkable man.
Hezekiah WILLIS, a grazier who dabbled in dairy farming, acquired the St. John’s Wood Estate from Louisa Bridget BARROW in September 1884. His attraction and motives for purchasing the 160 acre property are unknown. Yet, was Willis a visionary who first imagined those acres supporting both horticulture and milk production. A prime example of dairy farming in the district, at that time, were the Tuhan brothers who leased 'Tilney Farm' on the western-side of Bay View Road. (Refer Link below). H. Willis certainly acquired a fine orchard with his 160 acre purchase, yet he was not a recognised horticulturalist. Is it therefore conceivable the person who developed the greatest interest in the existing orchard was actually his nephew, James Brand BREWER. Granted, Brewer was then only a visitor to his uncle’s property, yet the period between 1884 and 1894 certainly offered Brewer ample time to learn the art of growing market quality fruit.
FRUIT GROWING at St. John’s Wood.
History informs that J.B. Brewer’s move from a small suburban block at 23 Highbury Grove, Armadale, to the sprawling acres at Burwood between late 1893 and early 1894. The need to uproot his young family was supposably due to a substantial downturn in the building construction industry. However, upon settling at Burwood he quickly shrugged off prior business failings to rapidly becoming known as a successful exporter of fruit. How did this almost seamless transition occur? The answer to that very possibly lies in the decade leading up to 1894. (No doubt Brewer was influenced by Sir Redmond Barry's fruit-growing legacy at St. John's Wood)
While this Trove List is by no means a complete newspaper collection of J.B. Brewer’s success in horticulture it does, however, offer insight to his main achievements. It is also revealed here that Barrow & Barry where not the first to establish an orchard on C.P. 54. Evidence of this appeared in August 1911, when reported that; 50 year old apple trees, from St. John’s Wood, were in vigorous condition and still able to produce marketable fruit. The planting of that apple grove clearly points to the John Cunnington years during the early 1860’s.
Brewer’s residential move to Burwood was possibly a timely one also for his uncle, who at that time had financial commitments to his mortgagees. H. Willis’s financial commitments on C.P. 54 do not show him escaping foreclosure in 1904. Meanwhile, J.B. Brewer remained at St. John’s Wood and probably as manager. The mortgagees then appear to have placed the property on the market in 1906. Certificate of Title reveals it was during 1909 the then owner conveyed C.P. 55 to the St. John’s Wood Estate Co. Pty. Ltd. The Chairman of Directors of the company was Samuel James PERRY, who was a known associate of J.B. Brewer in the fruit export trade. Details of the business arrangements between Perry and Brewer are unknown, but history indicates the bond was amicable and strong.
MILK PRODUCTION at St. John’s Wood.
It is doubtless that plans and finance required to affect the production of commercial quantities of fresh milk, at St. John’s Wood, were finalized by end of 1905. The infrastructure to do so began in 1906 and continued through until the end of 1907. The process to milk production required; the preparation of pasture, the laying of thousands of agricultural pipes, building a large water reserve (dam), and constructing a large purpose built milking shed with adjoining food storage silos. It was during this period an attractive 4-roomed cottage was built to house the family of a permanent farm-hand. It can be strongly argued that the cottage fronted Bay View Road (Huntingdale Road) about opposite Grandview Road. (By 1927 the cottage became the home of the Irving family and later part of the Waverley Riding School complex.) The keeping of over 50 cows on the St. John’s Wood estate was not without some setbacks, but these were eventually overcome. Brewer succeeded where others failed because he was willing to learn by mistakes and implement new ideas. Milk production at St. John’s Wood clearly came to a complete halt by the end of 1922, and allowed the St. John’s Wood Estate to be placed on the market by the beginning of 1923.
RIVERSDALE Golf Club.
As the years passed J.B. Brewer’s skills as a builder did not deserted him. In 1927, when the golf club decided the old St. John’s Wood homestead needed major alterations for it to become a clubhouse, builder J.B. Brewer was awarded the contract. Then on finishing the golf club’s renovations Brewer set about building a splendid new home for himself in Boroondara.
James Brand BREWER, was born in Melbourne in 1863. He was the only son of bootmaker, John BREWER (1839-1871). His mother was Sarah WILLIS (1839-1869). He was sadly orphaned early in life, and it is said he was fostered by his late mother’s siblings. A daughter of J.B. Brewer once described her father as being; short in stature, strong of muscle and full of energy. James Brand Brewer passed modestly away in 1945. His remains were interred at the Burwood General Cemetery.
Tilney Farm http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=59794
St. John's Wood, Waverley http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=89879
Roche was a native Cork, Ireland; born in 1831 to John Roche (brewer) and Lydia Abbott. It is very likely he arrived alone in Hobson's Bay aboard the vessel: ELIZA, during May 1853. The same year he is recorded with Philip Robinson in a business partnership in Flinders Lane.
At the time; either gentlemen, or both, resided at their business, and is where James and his bride, Margaret Sarah Jones, exchanged wedding vows. Until further research is undertaken it is assumed that Robinson remained in Flinders Lane after the two dissolved the business partnership in July 1854, with the Roche’s moving to, or near, the district of St. Kilda. (The place of registration of the couple’s first three children.)
A land history search reveals that Roche purchased land fronting Kooyong Road, East St. Kilda, from Thomas Gorringe in November 1858. The parcel of land was near the corner of Glen Eira Road; on part Crown Portion 247, Parish of Prahran. At this point it is interesting to compare the 1854 address of the Roche’s future father-in-law (Woodcroft Hall, Wavertree, Liverpool) with the proposed title of an estate “Woodcroft” on a plan-drawing held in the State Library, Victoria, Archives.
There is no known recorded reason that Roche and his wife had for returning to England in August 1864. However, the date may add more accurate province to the “Woodcraft” plan-drawing. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/166759
A certificate of title search has revealed that the same Roche property eventually became the address for Lady Margaret McCulloch’s “Convalescent Home for Women” in 1874.
This assembly of old newspaper-cuttings contain much local history.
The collection focuses mainly on; the since demolished GOLDEN FLEECE Hotel, corner Russell and Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, and the KAMBROOK ESTATE, Kambrook Road, Caulfield. Research reveals that these two addresses are associated with John PAYNE. (Member of the well-known Payne family)
KAMBROOK ROAD, Caulfield. – Parish of Prahran. During the 1850s; John Payne was Crown grantee of CPs 66, 67, (10 acres) fronting a Government Road. (He purchased CP 65 later) Upon those 15 acres, Payne named 'KAMBROOK', was established a 9-roomed weather-board house, where he and wife, Emma Frances FURBER, raised nine children. When Payne died in 1881, ownership of that parcel of land passed to his children, and the surviving of whom (Hudson, Payne and Tymms) sold the property as KAMBROOK ESTATE in March 1903.
A plan of the KAMBROOK ESTATE subdivision in 1909 can be seen here; http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/166339 (Notice that the streets named - Payne and Hudson – continue a family association with the district) and http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/159985
The GOLDEN FLEECE hotel, Russell Street, Melbourne. It is assumed here that prior to John Payne purchasing land on the south-east corner of Russell and Little Bourke streets he had an entrepreneurial purpose for doing so. It is revealed here that on having purchased land he soon engaged architect, H.D.G. RUSSELL, to draw-up plans for a collection of buildings. Tenders for construction of same were called in March 1853, but Payne was planning to become a publican. Payne’s first lessee of the hotel was Michael Woodlock. During the passage of time; the structures offered his family a steady rental-income while realising capital value. A second story to the hotel was added during 1865. This collection of properties was sold by John Payne’s surviving children in 1903.
Old map showing location of the GOLDEN FLEECE hotel. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/115993
John PAYNE – a very brief history.
John (the younger) was the third son of John PAYNE and Mary BUDDS. He was a native of Ireland, and youngest brother to Thomas Budds PAYNE. John’s other sibling was William PAYNE; with whom he shared enterprise during their early years in the colony. One of William and John’s best known earliest ventures was raising cattle on ‘Coolort Station’, Balnarring. Between 1848 and 1853 the brothers had raised suffient capital in becoming speculators in real estate.
1850 – Death of John PAYNE snr on his “Mary Villa” property at South Yarra.
1880 – Death of William PAYNE on his 66 acre “Emo” property, Waverley Road, Malvern.
Colloquial name :- Jordy Tech
Mono :- Pride in Achievement
Address :- Vannam Drive, Ashwood VIC. 3147
Uniform :- grey suit and cap with maroon braid, grey shirt, maroon tie with two diagonal strips of light blue, grey sweater with maroon and light blue bands and a grey blazer with maroon braid.
Established :- 1954
Officially opened :- December 1955
Closed :- 1993
Earliest Members of Staff included: - J. Broadfoot, V. Dunn, J. Knight, L. Benn, S. Oakley, R. Duncan, J. Neal, R.W. Tantau*, D. Costigan, Mrs. Wilkinson (Ass. Sec.) T. George, B. Conry (Principal) Miss K. Davies, S. Sharp.
*Designing the school's metal badge
Although not mentioned by name; the application for a new hotel "near the new Oakleigh railway station" mentioned in March 1888 was the future "Junction Hotel." The certainty of this is supplied by; (i) Certificates of Title documents which bears the name of George Frederick HAINES, (ii) newspaper articles by architect, James GALL, calling for tenders to build Haines' hotel at Oakleigh. However, some three months later the same freehold had been transferred to Terry’s West End Brewing Company. Haines was probably looking to raise capital when he sold to Terry, who appears to have accepted Haines' plans, and requested Gall (the architect) call tenders for a second time.
Construction of the hotel was completed by May 1889 with G. F. Haines as the registered licensee.
Transfer of the license from Mr. Haines to Mrs Annie McKenzie Munday was granted in August 1889. Prior to arriving in Oakleigh, John and Annie Munday had lived in Prahran, where since 1881, John Munday had been the publican of the "Prince of Wales Hotel", Chapel Street. The Munday family name was associated with the Junction Hotel, Oakleigh, until 1901.
(i). Terry's West End Brewing became "The Carlton and West End Breweries Limited" who mortgaged to a bank in 1899.
(ii). The Carlton Brewery Limited became the registered freehold owners in 1901.
(iii). Carlton Brewery Ltd., transferred to Joseph Colthurst in 1920
(iv) James Gall, architect. Notice the similaries between this http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/97773 and the early Junction Hotel, Oakleigh
These siblings were natives of Reading, Berkshire, England; the sons of John Edward JUSTINS and Jane MARKS.
It is understood the trio emigrated in the vessel: SULTANA, and disembarked in Maryborough, Qld, in July 1864.
1861 U.K. Census records best indicate the skills the three siblings brought with them to the colony.
To date, the earliest Trove record of the siblings engaged in coach building is under the signage “Victoria Coach Works & Carriage Exchange, Justins & Co.” at Albert street, Brisbane, Queensland, in 1868.
1866 – John Justins married Mary Anderson, Brisbane, Qld.
1867 – George Justins married Jane Wright Ward, Brisbane, Qld.
1867 – Henry Thomas Justins married Mildred Wright Houlden, Brisbane, Qld.
During 1869 the Albert street works had a name-change to “Melbourne Coach Works”, Justins & Co., and it was during that year the Justins’ factory was recognised as one of two principle coachbuilding workshops in Brisbane.
It is unknown whether the three Justins families left Brisbane for Melbourne at the same time, however, it is evident that on arrival in Victoria they settled in Emerald Hill.
It was in early 1873 that the name; John Justins, 35 Clarendon street, Emerald Hill appeared in newsprint in connection with the setting up a coach-building business. Subsequent directory entries and newspaper articles associate the Justins brothers with coach-building in Clarendon street and later York street, Emerald Hill. As circumstances had it the presents of the Justins coach-makers in Emerald Hill disappeared after 1881.
It is understood that George Justins and family moved to the district of Jeetho, Victoria, prior to returning to Queensland.
Henry Thomas Justins moved to Richmond, residing at 93 Somerset street until his death in 1897. The whereabouts of John Justins and family after 1880 is unknown.
When survey plans for the parish of Mulgrave, county of Bourke, first appeared in 1853 a portion of the parish was reserved for a township. This reserve - "OAKLEIGH, at the South Yarra Pound, on Scotchman's Creek" - was proclaimed on April 12, 1853. * The township-reserve therefore had a clearly defined boundary, and the existence of which is clearly visible on early parish plans. In terms of allotment-layout within the township boundary; notice that the township (smaller in size) allotments appear north of Dandenong road (Broadway), with larger residential-allotments to the east and south. Notice on the early plans that the cemetery was positioned on the southern-boundary some distance from the orginally planned business district.
Please also view Trove List titled: LAND SALES – parish of Mulgrave http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=30633
Footnote: * Gov. Gazette 21, April 13, 1853, page 519
This is an assembly of maps (plans) associated with the parish of Mulgrave, county of Bourke, and years prior to the 1920s.
As a collective the images create a landscape and improve the interpretation of the history they contain. Where possible newspaper articles, within Trove, have been attributed to the appropriate image. The notes and comments are based on lengthy research using primary documentation.
Trove informs that some of the earliest township styled subdivisions, within this parish, occurred during the latter-half of 1853.
Unfortunately, many plans thereof have not survived.
Of the earliest maps / plans that have survived John Collings had 160 acres under subdivision on CPs 44 and 45. (Upper Oakleigh and Winfield Estate - refer below Lists 9, 10 & 11)
However perhaps the most ambitious of all during late 1853 and 1854 were James Silverman, M.D. and his associates, who by March 1854 had some 422 acres of Mulgrave land under subdivision.
Un-named at Oakleigh South, 17 acres (part CP 2)
Township of South Oakleigh, 59 acres (CP 3) http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/259577
Township of Kensington, 186 acres (CPs 9 and 12) : http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/259602
Waverley Township-Estate, 160 acres (CP 62) http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/262180
Links to associated Trove Lists:-
Jacob (James) SILVERMAN, M.D. http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=61358
LAND SALES - Oakleigh Township Reserve http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=73132
This Trove List is a collection of history-worthy newspaper articles connected with the phrase: “No Good Damper.”
LOCALITY NAME: To date; the N.G.D. phrase first appeared in newsprint during June, 1841, so it is possible it entered the local vernacular during the early 1840s. As a locality; N.G.D. was due west of a pioneer settlement at Dandenong and centred near the suburb known to-day as Westall. However, the original N.G.D. station may have spaned the parish boundaries of Mordialloc and Dandenong.
PROPERTY NAME: Here begins the conundrum. Determining who first adopted the N.G.D. phrase as a property-name remains a mystery until primary evidence is revealed. Meantime, newsprint offers Mr. Robert Robinson, in the year 1848, as the first successful Depasture Licence applicant for a property of that name. Then later, when land was alienated from the Crown during the early 1850s, Robinson succeeded in purchasing land there. By year 1864, the popular use of the N.G.D. phase to identify a locality appears to have faded.
LICENSED PREMISES: Mr. C. L. J. De Villiers, merchant, late of Launceston, Tasmania, arrived in Melbourne during July 1836. Late in 1837 he was recorded at the Narre Warren district. He built his premises: “Squatters’ Rest,” on the high-side of the main Western Port road. (A newspaper article of June, 1855, offers the most accurate location this public house. See below) De Villiers may have been granted a license for his premises in 1838. De Villiers’s insolvency caused William Scott to became the next licensee of the “Squatters’ Rest” at No Good Damper, in 1841. Other licensees included; Robert McKee—1843, William Cleave—1845, and John Dunn—1846. The original premises closed in 1847 when John Dunn transferred the license to his new public-house in the township of Dandenong. (N.B. In terms of newsprint; the “No Good Damper Inn” was often a substitute name.)
DAMPER FARM, DAMPER SWAMP and DAMPER FLAT: These are remnants, or reminders, of the original “No Good Damper” locality. The north-east corner of the parish of Mordialloc can lay claim it, and with Damper Swamp being recorded on the parish plan of 1854. (Refer Map http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/99881
The “Selected by” notation on the plan is probably an alternative to “Pre-emptive right.” Hence, the plan shows Robert Robinsons’ claim of 636 acres fronting a Government road. (Centre road) Robert Robertson, of Brighton, purchased those 636 acres, from the Crown, in September 1854, and sold same acres during May the following year. The same parcels of land later became known as “Damper Farm.”
Robert KENT was a native of Cornwall, England, and married Harriette Vaughan HOLE, in Plymouth, Devonshire, England, in 1841.
Harriette was a daughter of Major Thomas HOLE and was born in Madras, India in 1817. Following their marriage the couple settled in the district of Liverpool.
It is understood that during the circa ten years Kent was in business in Liverpool he, and partners, established a moderately successful business in International trade, and for a period, were part-owners of a trading vessel.
It has been stated that Kent was attracted to Australia due to the increase in trade generated by the Gold Rush in Victoria. Mr and Mrs Kent, with 5 children, arrived in Hobson’s Bay, Port Phillip, aboard the vessel: JULIA, in October 1852. By the end of that month Kent had established his business address at 43 Market Square, Melbourne. It was in September 1853 that he joined fellow merchant, Jonathon Binns WERE & Co., at 46 Flinders land, Melbourne. During their first years in the colony the Kent family lived in Richmond, and perhaps having a very short stay in Prahran, before moving in ca1856 to what we know to-day as, Albion road, Glen Iris.
[Refer http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70394 ]
The Kent family lived at that address between circa 1856 and 1866. During those Boroondara years Kent involved himself in local affairs.
In July 1858, his name appears as electoral Returning Officer for South Bourke, and 1861 his name appeared on the Boroondara District Road Board Committee.
Robert Kent is also recognised as being a prime mover in establishing a Mechanics’ Hall at Glen Iris, but the brick building was not completed as such due to lack of funds.
Harriette Kent died at Glen Iris in December 1864, leaving behind six surviving children (4 boys & 2 girls) between the ages of 21 and 5 years of age. Robert Kent died in the home of his eldest son at South Yarra in April 1869.
Robert George V. KENT, established a distinguished carrier with the Victorian Railways, with his younger brother, Harold KENT, also having a long carrier with that department. Caroline KENT, married George Henry JENKINS in 1867.
1872 - Scotchman’s Creek road was changed to Waverley road.
In 1860s the Gardiner District Road Board applied to the Victorian Legislature for assistance in the cost of construction of a bridge, on a Government Road, over Scotchman’s Creek. The road was known locally as: Scotchman’s Creek road, and sometimes referred to as: Lower Dandenong road.
Tenders to build the bridge were called in July 1861 and William Burns, of Gardiner, received the contract in August. The identity of the first lessee and tollkeeper is yet to be established. However, during the life of the tollgate the following men are known to have successfully bid for contracts: -- Andrew BATES, James WOODMASON, Benjamin MILTON, Thomas PRITCHARD, and Edward COTTER.
The precise location of the Scotchman’s Creek Road Toll Gate and House is yet to be determined. However, Trove data strongly suggests it was close to the boundary road, between Batesford and Warrigal roads. Mr. J. B. Cooper ** suggested the Gate was between, what is now Chadstone road, and Scotchman’s Creek, but he appears to have simply extracted this information from a newspaper article. Tenders for the construction of a Toll house and gate were issued in February 1864.
Toll evasion no doubt plagued many Tollgates sometimes causing their relocation, or the introduction of a Check-gates near known detour points. The Oakleigh and Mulgrave Road Board offered to pay for the relocation of the Scotchman’s Creek Tollgate, but set too many conditions on the Oakleigh and Mulgrave Board for this to occur. This caused the O.M.R.B. to then propose a Check-gate on Breakneck road, east of Collins (Collings) street. The location was probably chosen because Collings street offered potential access, across vacant land, to Smith’s Ford (Batesford) road.
[Refer Trove List on BATES John, Andrew, and William http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=72298 ]
The erection of a Check-gate was mutually agreed but resulted in the tollkeeper needing to be at the Check-gate to collect tolls. His absence from the tollhouse caused it to fall into disrepair and it having been vandalised by local youth. Repairs were undertaken and in March 1869, the following year, an application was forwarded for it be used as polling-place. This met no objection from Oakleigh or Gardiner Road Boards. Later in July 1869, members of the Gardiner Board proposed the tollhouse be sold. Tenders for same were called and the structure was sold to Andrew Bates. However, in February 1870, the Roads and Bridges Office inquired to whether the tollhouse and gate continued to exist in the Gardiner district, and before the Gardiner Board replied they instructed their engineer to have a gate and board replaced in the old position. This indicates Bates had cleared the site when removing the tollhouse. Then later in May plans for a small wooden tollhouse where prepared and tenders called. During August 1870 the house was used as a polling place.
Over the next seven years nothing of reportable significance appears in Trove re the tollgate, except that in March 1877, the Shire of Gardiner called tenders for the purchase and removal of the Scotchman’s Creek tollhouse.
Footnote: ** http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/explore-stonnington/history/local-history-publications/local-history-e-books/
In the enthusiasm to promote the connection between Sir Redmond Barry and St. John’s Wood, Waverley, the name of the estate's original owner has been greatly overshadowed. However, with the assistance of Trove, and primary document research, the owner’s rightful place in local history can be restored.
John CUNNINGTON was a native of Braintree, Essex, England. He was born in 1818, studied Law, and was articled to his father, John Cunnington, at Braintree, Essex. It was during 1842 that John Cunnington, the younger, applied to be admitted as an Attorney in the Court Queen’s Bench, Hilary Term. Thereafter, father and son practised law at the firm Cunnington, Veley and Cunnington.
John CUNNINGTON jr., married Augusta Elizabeth FUGE, at St. Giles, Middlesex in 1848. Their first child, Elizabeth, was born in 1849, the same year the young family emigrated aboard the vessel SIBELLA. On March 25, 1850, John Cunnington applied to the Supreme Court to be admitted an Attorney, Solicitor, and Proctor at the District of Port Phillip. The family settled in La Trobe Street before moving to Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Following the death of two infant sons, the family moved to Prahran where daughters, Frances and Harriet were born. Trove informs John Cunnington became an active attorney and solicitor, and in 1857 was recognised as Chairman of the Municipal Council, Prahran. Solicitors; John Cunnington and Hurdman Charles Creswell practised law for some years together at Swanston Street, Melbourne, under the signage: Cunnington and Creswell. The business flourished enabling Cunnington to purchase and sell land holdings in Prahran. He made only one known land purchase in Mulgrave.
Crown Portion 54, parish of Mulgrave, was granted to John Randle Pascoe on 6th April, 1854. Pascoe was a land-jobber of his time and for reasons unknown he did not subdivide those 160 acres into farm or garden allotments. Perhaps he sensed profits lay elsewhere. In June 1855, he sold said portion to one John Collings, who mortgaged the property. A mortgagee eventually conveyed the property to a Melbourne solicitor, John Cunnington, who obtained freehold of C.P. 54 on January 1st, 1857. (Book 53 / Mem. 506) Then, about eight years later in October, 1864, it is revealed that John Cunnington had established a 7-roomed dwelling on 160 acres, sec. 54, Mulgrave. Logic dictates Cunnington employed contract labour to improve the Mulgrave property which, most likely, was a family retreat away from city and suburban life. Once established at Waverley, Cunnington joined the Oakleigh and Mulgrave Districts Roads Board. It was a position he held until his death, at St. John’s Wood, in 1868. It could be debated that; had the property not been mortgaged at the time of John’s death the family may have retained ownership. However, the property was put on the market, and mortgagee, Patrick Kelly, of South Yarra, transferred ownership to Louisa Bridget Barrow on the 28th November, 1868.
The purchase of ‘St. John’s Wood,’ by L. B. Barrow, was yet another commitment by her to secure a future for eldest son, Nicholas, (and his younger brothers) in farming. By the year 1873, it became evident the 160 acre purchase was planned to complement and expand the existing acres at Syndal. The Barry-Barrow partnership certainly foresaw ‘St. John’s Wood’ as place for milk production, and invested heavily in the required infrastructure to do so. (This was platform from which S. J. Perry and J. B. Brewer later used most successfully.) Exactly when Nicholas J. Barry became interested in horse racing is unknown, however, in late 1877 his involvement in stud breeding was revealed.
Following Sir Redmond Barry’s death in 1880, C.P. 54 was first, and unsuccessfully, placed on the market by his son, Nicholas, in November 1881. Then in mid-1883, Nicholas had let the farm to James Jackson. It was the following year that ‘St. John’s Wood’ was eventually sold. Mrs. L. B. Barrow transferring ownership of the St. John’s Wood property in September 1884. (vol.1612 / fol. 289) The next owner was Hezekiah WILLIS, who used the farm principally for grazing. Rates Books inform Willis leased, for a period, 60 acres of the property to three local farmers; A. Moore, J. Crawford and C. Closter, and included his nephew (late of Prahran district), James Brand BREWER, who became a very well-known orchardist, yet much lesser known milk purveyor. The next long-term owner of the property went by the name of ‘St. John’s Wood Estate Co. Ltd’., whose Chairman of Directors was Melbourne, merchant, Samuel James PERRY. (J.B. Brewer may have been a fellow director) Nevertheless, from about 1894, James B. Brewer and family remained at St. John's Wood for several years. Certificates of Title for the property, between the years 1884 and 1927, name a succession of mortgagees.
The ‘Riversdale Golf Club Ltd.,’ appear to have been given operating rights on the 160 acres in 1924, with transfer of ownership of the property being registered in May 1928. (vol. 5418 / fol. 504) The late 1920s witnessed more changes when ‘Board of Land and Works’ surveyors finalized a railway path across about a southern-quarter of property. If not for that action the magnitude-of-scale in the original 160 acres could, perhaps, still be visible to-day. However, the railway dividing-line offered opportunity for others to the south. The ‘Waverley Riding School’ opened for business in 1933, and remained in the district until late 1950. (N.B. The principle land-holding of the riding school was actually located on C.P. 53. On land that had been purchased by the 'St. John's Wood Estate Co. Pty. Ltd', in May 1921.)
Associated reading : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=90789
Syndal Farm : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=95824
St. Matthew's Church of England, once stood on the north-west corner of Springvale and Wellington roads, Mulgrave.
A district once known as - Wellington.
Construction of the Church began in 1869 and this List will bring-to-light a few important facts that recorded history, has until now, overlooked.
Syndal Farm, Mulgrave, Victoria.
This assembly of Trove items pays tribute to Sir Redmond Barry’s serious interest in agriculture, and strengthens his association with the parish of Mulgrave. It also reveals some Barry-Barrow family events post 1880.
SYNDAL (Sabine) FARM.
Prior to Trove; students of history have been led to believe Judge Redmond Barry purchased ‘Syndal’ farm in about 1866. However, in reality the farm was not purchased in a single transaction, and was not solely the freehold of one person. ‘Syndal’ farm actually evolved from the purchase of 20 acres in May 1855, with Louisa Bridget Barrow being the registered owner. The second purchase of 40 acres occurred in July 1868, and once again registered in Barrow’s name. The third and fourth purchases belong to Sir Redmond Barry who held the freehold of c.54 acres, which he purchased in his own name in March 1872 and November 1873. Hence, it was not until late 1873 that ‘Syndal’ occupied 113a. 1r. 26p. (c.114a), the popular recorded acreage of ‘Syndal’ farm. However, subsequent research reveals that ‘Syndal’ actually occupied, at its peak, 123a. 1r. 26p. The earlier unaccounted for 10 acres were claimed as adverse possession by Louisa Bridget Barrow in T.L.A. Application No.19523 in 1885. Barrow successfully proved she had occupied those acres since 1856 under an agreement with the previous owner.
The ‘Leader’ newspaper article of June, 1873, eloquently summarizes farming events at Syndal, and was written at a time when the farm occupied 80 acres. The article informs readers that Syndal was mainly the domain of Sir Redmond, and given his desire to share his passion for agriculture it is highly likely he inspired local farms. The likes of; French, Muir, Lechte, and others. It would, therefore, be appropriate to suggest Sir Redmond Barry was among the founding fathers of horticulture in the North Riding of Mulgrave.
Following Barry’s death in 1880; it could be considered unfortunate that his family did not foresee a future for themselves in Mulgrave. However, their departure opened the door for others to succeed where they did not.
It was after 1884 that the names; William Timberlake and Henry Coleman added their addresses to Lawrence road, and extended Sir Redmond Barry’s vision of profitable fruit-growing in that district.
ST. JOHN’S WOOD.
The ‘Leader’ newspaper article of July, 1873, is the sequel to events on Syndal Farm, describing those 160 acres as being established to support dairying. Bridget Barrow knew her three sons did not inherit the intellect of their father, so she strongly encouraged, and supported, her boys to pursue farming. Nicholas Barry introduced stud breeding to St. John’s Wood in circa 1877. The Barry-Barrow years at St. John’s Wood certainly laid the ground work for those who followed. Namely; J.B. Brewer and S. Perry who turned St. John’s Wood into a profitable dairy-and-fruit producing property.
James Brand BREWER : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=90789
St. JOHN'S WOOD - Waverley : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=89879
BALLYORMAN – Scoresby (Bayswater).
It is in the aforementioned July, 1873, article that proposed plans of the Barry-Barrow family for acres at Scoresby were revealed. Research indicates that the c.260 acres, fronting Scoresby road, were purchased by Nicholas James Barry. This was certainly done with the approval of his mother, who used her St. John’s Wood property as security against a large bank loan by her son.
It would appear the original plans for Scoresby were abandoned in favour of stud breading, and the like.
MOORILIM and MURCHISON EAST.
Initial research into the Barry brothers’ years in this district suggests they had begun purchasing land there during the early 1880s. Trove informs their early years in the district were quite positive, but none appear to have followed, to any great extent, their father’s interest in fruit-growing. More research is required to formulate a more accurate history.
Those interested in the history of Boroondara have for some time been aware of the association between; Captain Thomas Henderson, R.N., the vessel IRIS and the suburb: GLEN IRIS. [Link to List re: the IRIS. http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70986 ]
However, to those wishing to learn more facts related to this history-of-events should find this List useful.
Thomas Henderson was a son of Dunipace, Stirlingshire, Scotland, and born in the year 1794. His father, James Henderson, was a merchant by repute. Thomas entered the Royal Naval as a volunteer in 1810, and by the year 1850 his much sailing experience witnessed him rise to the rank of captain. Genealogy informs Henderson was a widower when he remarried in October 1841. Frances M. Day’s maternal grandfather, Miles B. Beevor. D.D., was a son of 1st Baronet of Hethel, Norfolk.
To this researcher’s knowledge Henderson left no record to his purpose of voyaging to Australia; not only in his own vessel, but in the company of his young family. Having arrived with his Clipper-yacht (rigged as a Cutter) in Hobson’s Bay in July 1850 he very soon established his family on dry land. In the middle of following month he had acquired freehold of three acres of land, at Brighton, (without dwells) on the SW corner of North road and St. Kilda street.
While the Henderson family were residents of Brighton during “Separation Rejoicing” in the Port Phillip district in November 1850, their stay was short. By February 1851 the Brighton residence was sold, resulting in the family moving to the banks of what became later known as Gardiner’s creek at Boroondara. (The proclamation of Crown land auctions for Boroondara in September 1850 had attached Henderson, and his bid of £1. 6s. an acre for 273 acres secured him a large piece fronting the creek.) It is also appropriate to mention here that Henderson (of Glen Iris) was successful at similar land-sales in May 1851, when he purchased about 327 acres in the parish of Yuroke. The Crown granted him ownership thereof on in January 1852. Henderson soon had that parcel of land subdivided into 16 allotments and by the end of July 1852 all allotments had been sold at a handsome profit.
During June 1852; Henderson sold his “Glen Iris” property, at a large profit, and in the process, loaned the new owner a large sum of money. Prior to the Henderson's departure, with family, from Australia in circa August 1852; Thomas left the outcome of the aforementioned loan in the hands of his attorney. [ Glen Iris Estate List refer : http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=70394 ]
On leaving Australia it is known that Henderson soon took a R.N. commission as a Commodore in Jamaica, West Indies. In December 1858, Thos. Henderson was promoted to Rear Admiral, and in June of 1861 the family was recorded living at Belle Vue, Dawlish, Devonshire, England. Thomas Henderson died in April 1865.
Thomas and Frances Henderson had seven children and the registered places of birth of these children is testimony to the amount travel the couple shared together. Genealogy informs the following:--
Fanny b.1845, Jersey; Thomas b.1846, Cornwall; Mary b.1849, Kent; George b.1851, Glen Iris; Frederick b.1853, at sea (Falkland Island); Arnot b.1855, Jamaica; John b.1857, France.
Quoting from the book: A Naval Biological Dictionary - 1849, by Wm. R. O'Bryne. "THOMAS HENDERSON, is brother of James Henderson, Esq., Master-Attendant at Devonport (Plymouth) Dockyard."
Parishes of Boroondara, Nunawading and Mulgrave.
Thomas Lavidge (1802 - 1873) was a native of Tallington, Lincolnshire, England.
As an agricultural labourer he arrived in Port Phillip, with family, in November 1848.
It is assumed Lavidge disembarked with sufficient capital to permit him attending, in Melbourne, Government Land sale auctions taking place within weeks of his arrival in the colony.
Between the years 1849 and 1855 he is known to have received eleven Crown Grants.
C.Ps 43 and 62 in the parish of Boroondara;
Lot 3 - Block 8, in the township of Oakleigh;
C.Ps 89, 61, 63, 106, 111, and 112, in the parish of Mulgrave;
C.Ps 45 and 48c, in the parish of Nunawading. The sum total of which covered about 618 acres.
Then in ca1867 Lavidge was granted C.P. 110, (340a) in the parish of Nunawading.
Thomas and Lavidge streets, Hawthorn, (fronting Burwood road) are remnants of Lavidge’s association with C.P.43, Boroondara. Refer http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/155288
Lavidge later established his residence, “Casewick House” on C.P. 48c, parish of Nunawading, which lies on the N.W. corner Burwood highway and Elgar road, Burwood. It is assumed that later owners made improvements to the farm and additions to “Casewick House.”
One owner, Dr. Ramsay Mailer, named the property “Hethersett”. http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/50501
The Presbyterian Ladies College (P.L.C.), Burwood, VIC., now occupies the site.
Thomas WILKINSON (Insurance Agent) late of Collingwood, Mulgrave & Fitzroy, and the father of --
- Emily WILKINSON late at Collingwood, Mulgrave
- Thomas Gee WILKINSON, farmer, grocer, carrier etc., late of Mulgrave, Fitzroy, Notting Hill & Oakleigh
- Samuel John WILKINSON, clerk, schoolmaster, late of Fitzroy, Beechworth, Crowlands & Paynesville
- Edwin WILKINSON, grocer, builder, late of Fitzroy, Collingwood
- Mary Ann WILKINSON [Mrs Jno Hughes]
- Arthur WILKINSON, late of Collingwood, Fitzroy. (Nothing more is known of him)
At its peak this dairy-farm occupied 180 acres, which included all of Crown Portions 50 and 51, and part of Crown Portions 47 and 52, in the parish of Mulgrave.
This region of the old parish has had many name changes over the years. First known as part of Burwood, then changed to Jordanville (name of local railway station) and now Ashwood.
Melway Map 60, A11; places one on the north-east corner of this 180 acre property, which had High Street Road, as a northern boundary; stretching from Huntingdale road to about Yooralla Street; then bearing south as far as Burton Street, (southern boundary) and along Huntingdale Road (eastern boundary) to High Street Road.
Lists 1+2. These offer the first records of "Tilney Farm" in that district, so it is perhaps safe to assume that Charles Henry Ewen - named it. Ewen leased the land from the Cooke brothers, who sold the property to one James Elworthy, who retained ownership until 1888.
List 3. Informs that Charles Ewen's widow left the farm
List 4. Indicates it was the Tuhan brothers who followed the Ewen family and retained the "Tilney Farm" name.
List 5. Indicates the year the Tuhan brothers prepared to leave the property. The advertisement also offers an insight to the scale of production the Tuhan brothers made on those 180 acres.
List 6. Confirms the year Elworthy had, by then, sold the property.
1. Elworthy sold his freehold to the company who established the 'Malvern and Glen Iris Estate'.
2. There is a strong possiblily that an old 'Tilney Farm' dwelling once occupied the site at Lot 37, Electra Ave. Ashwood. vol.8063/fol.070
It was not until 1937 that Warrigal Road was known as such its entire length - Surrey Hills and Mentone.
This list does not explore the full story of this road, but highlights early history covering one section of it.
Namely its geographical approach to Gardiner’s creek from north and south.
Viewing Warrigal road, Holmesglen, in this way offers one the simplest understanding of the road’s history at this diagonal junction. It is a history that spans circa 30 years.
This crossing is also a junction of what is recognised to-day as boundaries of the cities of Boroondara, Stonnington to the west (separated by the creek) and Monash to the east.
Historically these regions where described on early parish plans as; Boroondara, Prahran and Mulgrave, and the road separated them geographically. Hence early Municipal Roads Boards’ correspondence refered to it as “Boundary Road”, or “Eastern Boundary Road”, depending on the municipality. (Boroondara, Gardiner, Oakleigh)
J. B. Cooper, in his book: The history of the City of Malvern**, was perhaps the first to record the history of Warrigal road, Holmesglen, but unfortunately the attempt was grossly inaccurate. Meanwhile, a reliable history-summary has since been achieved by combining; Land conveyance search records and Trove newspaper articles.
“THE OPENING OF WARRIGAL ROAD”
While a road between High street and Batesford road (as we know them to-day) appeared on early parish plans, this was not necessarily the case on-the-ground. Local Roads Boards of the 1860s knew that to construct a road between the aforementioned thoroughfares the first step required the purchase of land.
The first land to be obtained for the purpose occurred in 1861, when the Board of Lands and Works purchased a strip of land, one chain wide, from Mulgrave landowner, Michael Curtain. (Part CP 46, parish of Mulgrave) This strip of land became Warrigal road’s northern approach to Gardiner’s creek. Next a southern approach of a similar width was also needed. Progress stagnated until 1878 when land, one chain wide, was purchased from dairyman, William S. Bates. (Part CP 188, parish of Prahran) However, the southern approach would across low lying land that was prone to flooding.
Engineers solved the challenges faced in the construction of a road by; changing the course of the creek, such that it flowed under a bridge, and the creation of a raised southern approach supported by an embankment.
At the time of preparing this list no defining date of when this section of road opened was uncovered, hence the year 1891 is assumed.
Summary of events.
1861. Land purchased - northern approach
1878. Land purchased - southern approach
1890. Wooden Bridge built and Gardiner’s creek diverted
c1891. Estimated year road opened
1923. Wooden Bridge over creek repaired
c1928. Railway Line Bridge constructed
1914. Country Roads Board request road takeover - refused
1937. Warrigal road - name finally recognised from Surrey Hills to Mentone
1938. Concrete bridge completed on new alignment
1945. Country Roads Board purchased land at Holmesglen
c1947. Duplication began from south
Footnote: *History of the City of Malvern, Chapter VI, pages 63 & 64.
It could be successfully argued that had farmer, Bernard REILLY, not died prematurely in 1847, the place name – WHEELERS HILL – may not have occurred. Recorded history informs B. Reilly and J. Jones leased a few country-allotments, fronting the Dandenong Creek, north of Thomas Armstrong. On Reilly’s death his widow, Ellen GLYNN, was left to care for four young children. When local, James WHEELER, married Mrs Ellen Reilly in 1848, he not only gained an instant family, but also an opportunity to lease Reilly's share of farmland. Wheeler and Jones continued to lease Crown land until the opportunity to do so ceased. (It has been recorded that James’ brother, Bartholomew, replaced Jones in 1851. However, Bartholomew was a resident of Melbourne by this time.) Similar to Thomas Armstrong; James Wheeler claimed pre-emptive rights to a portion of yet unnamed parish in December 1851.
As the link to an early parish plan shows; Wheeler successfully claimed purchase to portion of land on the brow of a hill, fronting the Dandenong Creek. (Crown Portion 95) http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/166766
Research informs that James Wheeler remained a resident on that land until he moved to the City of Melbourne. The move drew him closer to his brother, Bartholomew, who owned a couple of city allotments, and had purchased the “Shamrock Inn” in Elizabeth Street. (Later known as the “Royal Railway Hotel”) Details of how James Wheeler employed himself in Melbourne need more investigation, but it is known that Wheeler was announced – insolvent – in December 1855. It was in October, 1857, that Wheeler’s assignee sold the Mulgrave land (C.P. 95) to Peter John MARTIN, of Gisborne.** It was the continued announcements of James Wheeler’s insolvency which indicates he had moved to the district of Woodend by mid-1857. He remained in that district until his death in 1875.
This chain-of-events reveals that James Wheeler was known to the Mulgrave parish for a period of less than 10 years, yet a lingering legacy of his short presence there remains. To date; Trove offers 1874 as the earliest newspaper-recorded use of – Wheeler’s Hill – in association with Ferntree Gully Road. Given that Wheeler’s name does not appear on early Mulgrave Voters’ or Electoral Rolls it is perhaps a surprise his name remained attached to the district long after his departure.
A brief history of other early Wheeler’s Hill events.
Peter John MARTIN sold his freehold on C.P. 95 to one George STOTT in March 1868. This coincided with Stott’s purchase of part C.P. 95, at the N.E. corner of Jells and Ferntree Gully roads. Together with his wife, Ann FROST, George, established the Mulgrave Post office and General Store on that corner. At the time of George’s death, he and his wife where in the process of establishing a licenced premises. However it was his widow, Ann, who was granted the first license for the – Mulgrave Post Office Hotel – in 1875. The George and Ann Stotts' possible motivation for establishing a licensed premise on their corner was from watching customers leave their store and head south down Jells Road to Rowland Fletcher FREEMAN’S – Mountain View Hotel – on the N.E. corner of Wellington and Jells roads. Freeman left his licensed premise when he married George Stott’s widow in 1877.
It could be said it was Jessie GESSNER who attached the signage – Wheeler’s Hill – permanently to that corner on naming the premises – Post Office Hotel, Wheeler’s Hill. It was the year 1923 that the existing – Wheelers Hill Hotel – signage was established.
Without doubt over many decades that corner of old Mulgrave, and the one-in-eight incline, have witnessed many celebrations and events. The 1913 automobile hill-climb event listed here being just one illustration.
** Peter Jno Martin, married Mary Wheeler (dau. of Bartholomew Wheeler), in Oct.1858. The couple moved to Emerald Hill. When P. J. Martin stopped contracting for the Government he later became known as a beer brewer.
Baker & Confectioner :
— Drummond Street, Carlton
— Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda
— Chapel Street, Prahran
— Meadow Street, East St. Kilda
— Jells Road, Wheeler's Hill
William Dalziel ROBERTSON was born to Robert ROBERTSON and Margaret ALLAN on 22nd June, 1848, in Wilton, Roxburghshire, Scotland. William, the only son, was the second youngest of their four children. William became a master baker and confectioner by trade and married Helen BRUCE on 2nd November, 1875, in Falkland, Fife.
The young couple soon immigrated to Australia; arriving in Melbourne in April 1876 aboard the vessel BANGAYORE. The couple settled in Drummond Street, Carlton, where William established the first of his bakeries. In those early days Robertson reputedly used a cane basket to hand deliver his goods to customers. Business progressed for Robertson in 1886 when he moved to 121 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda, where he initially managed the larger business operated, at that time, by Scotsman and master baker, Charles Anderson. Anderson’s health was failing and the business needed a competent manager in his absents. The move was a turning point for Robertson, who eventually purchased the ‘goodwill’ of Anderson’s bakery, but did not gain ‘freehold’ of the property until 1908. Old newspapers articles reveal Robertson expanded his bakery enterprise to include two addresses on Chapel Street, Prahran.
In addition to the business of baking; Robertson began purchasing real estate, and in 1889 he purchased ca 42 acres on Wellington Road, part of CP90 in the parish of Mulgrave. By the end of 1894 he had purchased two adjoining allotments, fronting Jell's Road, to form one parcel of land. It was on those circa 62 acres he eventually establish a ‘hobby farm’ and had a grand dwelling built / erected, which he named “Bellenden.”
In August 1898 Wm. D. Robertson was elected a councillor to the Shire of Mulgrave representing ratepayers in the South Riding. As the above events contest; it would be a somewhat fanciful notion to consider that he had, at this point, retired from business and suburban life. Based on the information at hand it is more likely Robertson took a transitioned approach to retirement, while employing managers to operate his bakeries.
William Dalziel ROBERTSON, Meadow Street, East St. Kilda.
In terms of a Directory; the name appears at that address between the years 1914 and 1918.
However, a title search reveals Robertson actually had the first portion of land on ‘Greenmeadows’ transferred in his name in August, 1913. There is good reason to believe Robertson actually purchased the old ‘Greenmeadows’ homestead, and added to it by purchasing the block next door in 1918. Curiously, 1918 is the same year the directory records Wm D. Robertson, farmer, Jells Road, Wheelers Hill. In early 1926 Robertson expanded his real-estate portfolio to include 120 acres of farmland on Wellington Road, Narree Warren.
William Dalziel Robertson, retired baker, farmer, and Mulgrave Shire councillor, died on 13th January 1931 at his home “Bellendeen”, Jells Road, Wheelers Hill. His remains where interred at the Springvale Cemetery. Robertson bequeathed most of his property to his wife, Helen, who did not remain at “Bellenden.” She moved to West Preston and live with her son, George, in West Preston.
Chronical of one of Colonial Victoria's many market gardeners who diversified into farming.
In the 1850s, Jennings established the Clifton Nursery in Hawthorn (specialised in Fruit-Trees) and also had a stall at the Eastern Market, Melbourne.
In the 1860s, he moved to the Parish of Mulgrave and took residence along what became, Waverley road, Mt. Waverley. [part Crown portion 33. Refer Map link below]
At the time of his death in 1884, Jennings had 232 Fruit-trees on 26 acres, grazed cattle and cut hay on the other ca.98 acres he owned a few hundred yards east, along Waverley road. [part Crown portion 31A]
He also owned 5a on Warrigal road, Holmesglen (near Batesford road) [part Crown portion 45]
Further; he had ca.682 acres of land (part leased from the Crown) in the Parish of Mooroolbark.
Pioneer Settler, Brickmaker, Publican and Farmer; are occupations which can be attributed to this man, who was a native of Derryanvil, Co., Armagh, Ireland. The year he married Annis Somerville is yet unknown. The couple’s elder children; (Ann, Samuel and William) were born in Ireland prior to the family emigrating, however, the year and vessel they chose to voyage are yet to be uncovered. Siblings; Margaret, Thomas and Rebecca were born in the colony.
Land Conveyance Records indicate the family eventually settled on the western fringe the district of South Yarra.
Stevenson’s first known land purchase in the colony was in August 1849. The piece of land was 4 acres on part Allotment 15, parish of South Melbourne, fronting Gardiner's Creek Road (Toorak Road) A couple of years later Stevenson added an adjoining acre (north) and on which it is believed he occupied himself in brickmaking. The bricks produced there were later used in the construction of two buildings fronting the main road, and a couple of small cottages fronting Domain Street. The first to be completed, circa mid-1853, was a hotel that carried the signage: South Melbourne Hotel. Stevenson struggled to gain a license for his public-house, but with the help on an influential acquaintance a publican's license was gained in 1854.
It was during September that year that Stevenson lost his first wife, and once a widower Stevenson may been forced to relinquish his publican’s license. Stevenson remarried in January 1855 at the home of the bride, Eleanor Southcombe Rooke, in St. Kilda. The couple’s marriage certificate indicates Stevenson was living at the ‘Longford Hotel’ (Punt road) at this time. It is unknown who established that hotel (known earlier as the ‘Longford Family Hotel) but evidence exists that William Stevenson leased an acre of land surrounding the house from Alexander Davidson in April 1854. John McCann was issued a licence for the establishment in March 1854. (Perhaps Stevenson moved to Punt Road following the death of his first wife)
Stevenson was heavily mortgaged at the time he went insolvent in March 1855. He appears to have attempted to avoid this in February 1855 by placing his properties up for sale. Once insolvent Stevenson would definitely have been forced to relinquish his trading license. The next licensee of the South Melbourne Hotel was Robert Farrell.
[More history on this hotel following a name-change. http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=62589 ]
It is possible that William St. Paul Gellibrand, of Hobart, Tasmania, was the largest of Stevenson’s mortgagors, because Gellibrand appears to have gained ownership of Stevenson’s property on part Allotment 15, parish of South Melbourne. (NB. It can be deduced that the large house under construction west of the hotel fronting Gardiner’s Creek Road, was later known as “Homerton House”)
The Stevenson family moved to district of Oakleigh by the year 1857. The precise year the Stevenson family moved to fledgling district of Waverley is unknown. However, evidence exists that Stevenson purchased about 19 acres of land from one Charles Wilson, labourer, of Waverley, in December 1860. Stevenson’s presence on part Crown Portion 62, parish of Mulgrave, lasted almost 24yrs, and a section of Government road leading to his property was known locally as: Stevenson’s Lane. (Stephenson’s Road, Mt. Waverley)
Stevenson sold his freehold in Mt. Waverley during March 1883.
Wm. Stevenson was also known in the parish of Scoresby, when in 1874 he became grantee of CP 54B. It was the same year he married, widow, Mrs Alice Jones.
Information on Trove's new list feature can be found here.