NICHOLSON, JOHN HENRY (1838-1923), teacher and writer, was born on 12 June 1838
at Lyme Regis, Dorset, England, eldest surviving son of John Nicholson,
orientalist, theologian and linguist, and his wife Anne, née Waring. He was a
nephew of Mark and William Nicholson, sponsor and friend of Leichhardt. Educated
privately and at Croft House Academy, Brampton, Cumberland, he was sent at 16 on a
sea voyage but left the ship on reaching New South Wales, where among various
occupations he tried whaling and gold prospecting. After a brief return to
England, he settled in 1859 in Queensland, opening a private school at Toowoomba.
Soon afterwards he moved to Warwick where he tutored until 1863 and then started
another private school. On 3 March 1860 he had married German-born Anna Wagner;
they had no children but adopted a daughter. In May 1865 he joined the Board of
General Education and had charge of National schools at Nundah in 1865-68,
Springsure in 1870-76 and Enoggera in 1877-85.
View the full record at
Australian Dictionary of Biography