The Joint Coal Board was established in February 1947* by both the Federal and New South Wales Governments. In January 2002 the functions of the Joint Coal Board were absorbed by the newly formed Coal Services Pty Ltd.
*1947 is the date listed by the National Archives of Australia. However the Coal Industry Repeal Bill 2000 states that it was formed in 1964 "under parallel legislation passed by the Commonwealth (the Coal Industry Act 1946 (Cth)) and New South Wales (the Coal Industry Act 1946 (NSW))".
As from 1 January 2002 the Joint Coal Board and the Mines Rescue Board ceased to exist. The activities of these entities were merged into a new private company called Coal Services Pty Limited. Coal Services Pty Limited is owned by the NSW coal industry with the NSW Minerals Council and the CFMEU each taking a 50% shareholding.