John Lysaght set up the Victoria Galvanized Iron & Wire Company in Melbourne in 1880, with branches in the other colonies. In 1899 this importing firm was replaced by Lysaght's Galvanized Iron Pty Ltd, with a nephew, Herbert Lysaght, as a director, Sydney manager and Queensland supervisor.
John also set up a wire netting factory which was run by two of his sons and which was eventually acquired by BHP.
View the full record at
Encyclopedia of Australian Science