FRANKI, JAMES PETER (1843-1924), engineer and shipbuilder, was born on 27
November 1843 at Coglio, Switzerland, son of Martin Franki, builder and farmer; he
came to Sydney aboard the Ledunia in 1855, and was educated at St Philip's School,
Church Hill. Apprenticed for five years in the engineering and shipbuilding firm
of P. N. Russell & Co., Darling Harbour, he then worked with the Fitzroy
Ironworks Co. at Mittagong and on railway construction projects with Mark Faviel.
On 9 January 1867 he joined Macarthur & Co. which was then operating at
Waterview Bay, Balmain; he started as chief engineering draughtsman, was promoted
to manager on Thomas Macarthur's death in 1869, and appointed general manager when
the dockyard became a public company in 1872 under the name Mort's Dock &
Engineering Co. Ltd. He was naturalized in 1875.
View the full record at
Australian Dictionary of Biography