OGILVIE, JAMES (1795?-1828), wine merchant, was 'a native of Banff, North
Britain, of very respectable connexions, and no small pretensions to gentility'.
He arrived at Hobart Town with his wife and family in the Britomart on 4 February
1822, bringing a letter of recommendation from Downing Street and some £1500 in
goods and cash. Within a month he opened a shop at Harrington Street, Hobart,
largely stocked with the merchandise he had imported. On 3 February 1823 he was
elected to the committee for establishing a Presbyterian church in Hobart with
Rev. Archibald Macarthur as its minister. He was an original shareholder in the
Bank of Van Diemen's Land and signed the petition to the British government
requesting that Lieutenant-Governor William Sorell remain in office.
View the full record at
Australian Dictionary of Biography