No corrections yet
Thn World of Women BRICKS FROM FIRST
Among the articles for sale at Red Cross Variety Shop, 82 Collins st, uro doorstops made from bricks used In tho construction of Governor Ln Trobe's cottage, Victoria's first Government House. The handsome bricks come from tile portion of the cottage taken down recently, and as well as being most interesting his- toric relics tiley make exceptionally atti active doorstops.
The doorstops arc made by Mrs H C. Colville, Burke rd, Hawthorn, who had the Idea of asking Bedg- good and Co Pty Ltd to gltc the bricks to Red Cross for this purpose. Mrs Colville covers t,hc sides and back with green felt, and on the front there is a small copper plate bearing the Inscription. "Brick from lcsidence of Victoria's first Governor, 1839." The doorstops are 3/, and for an extra shilling the purchaser may have the brick coveied with felt to match the room where It will be used.
Other bricks from La Trobe's cot- tage are for sale for Red Cross, and would be most suitable for use as gorden paving squares or surrounds, sundials, and wall fountains. Miss Edna Walling will plan designs and supervise construction of these if a fee of 10/0 is paid to Red Cross funds.
Other interesting relics from the cottage for sale for Red Cross arc S windows with wood and metal frames measuring 48in x 16in; 3 doors. 10 panel wall sections, and one pair of cedar shutters. These may be viewed at Bedggood and Co Pty Ltd, Agnes st, East Melbourne, on application to Mr Jack Bedggood.