No corrections yet
Originally, Toodyay townsite was located by Ensign Dale in the course of an exploration authorised by Governor Sir James Stirling. Setting out from Perth in 1831, Ensign Dale and his party traversed the Avon River Valley to a spot on the right bank of the river which
was originally ? chosen as the town site of , Toodyay. This became the settlement from which the agricultural activities of the district expanded. To facilitate transport from Perth it was decided, in 1861, to remove - the township to a. point about three miles higher up the river. This became known as Newcastle. That
name continued to be used until at a suggestion from the Federal Gov ernment the town reverted : to the use of the original name of Tood yay. Today the Old Town, as it is 'known, with its relics of gaols, cot tages and inns, is one of the few remaining links with the State's early history.
No. 1 Dormitory and Domestic Block, Muresk Agricultural College.