MR. WILLIAM GILLIES.
A correspondent of the "Advertiser" writes: - At the Tatiara Memorial
Hospital on the first day of 1926 Mr.
William Gillies, a very old resident of the Tatiara district, passed to the great beyond. Mr. Gillies was tho se- cond son of Mr. J. Gillies, an early
settler of' Teetree Gully, from which
district he migrated when but two
years of age, travelling by bullock dray in short stages and landing in Mount Gambler 81 years ago. Mr. Gillies early recollections dated back to Mount Gambler when the township was no- thing but scrub and a few log shanties. Mr. Gillies followed bush pursuits, and it is doubtful if a better bush carpen- ter, woodsman, road maker, and blade shearer was ever known in the South - East. It could truly be said that Mr. Gillies helped to blaze tho trail as far as the South-Eastern districts are concerned, some of the first hewn sleepers that carried the railway being cut by his hunds. There are many wool sheds, wells, and buildings throughout the Tatiara district that are standing as monuments to his bushcraft. The last work accomplish- ed by him was a pair of cart wheels made not more than a month ago, which would have done credit to a young craftsman. An old injury as- serted itself a few days ago and Mr. Gillies sank at the age of 83. The family consisted of Mr. Robert Gillies, Mundallu, Messrs. Jim and Jack Gillies of Bordertown, Mr. William Gillies and Frank Gillies, of Narracoorte, and Mrs. G. IHlller, of Kieth. There are 21 grandchildren and 33 great-grandchil- dren. Four grandsons went to the
Great War and two made the supreme