OBITUARY, MR ALFRED BUSSELL CLEMES. The death took place at Stawell on Wednesday morning of the oldest pio- neer of the Stawell goldfield, in the per- son of Mr A. B. Clemes, J.P., in his 89th year. Deceased was born at St. Anstell, Cornwall, on 5th April, 1829, and was educated at Bristol, taking up the business of chemist and druggist. He arrived in Victoria in 1852, and opened business in Melbourne, but two years afterwards he married, and with his wife decided to open business at various "rushes," eventually arriving at Pleasant Creek (as Stawell was then known) in 1858. As the alluvial de- clined the "reefs" broke out, and Mr Clemes, with many others, removed the business to the side of the Big Hill, and eventually took into partnership with him Mr J. G.Bartleman, trading as Climes and Bartleman, chemists. When road boards were established in 1861, he was one of those elected in this district, and in 1870 he was elected Stawell Shire secretary, which position he held for forty fuar years, resigning four years ago. He was one of the founders of the Stawell Hospital and also of the Mechanics' Institute, and has remained on the board of manage- ment for the whole period since, being also a member of the first committee of the common School, and subsequently of the State School. In 1882 he was appointed secretary of the Wimmera United W aterworks Trust, which posi- tion he retained until the trust was tak- en over by the State Rivers and Water Supply, when he was appointed district secretary, the success of the great water scheme having been largely due to his business and financial capabilities. In many other ways he has rendered valu- able service to the district, and his de- mise is deeply deplored. He leaves a widow and family. Mrs B. Buzzard (Melbourne), Mrs Beatty (West Aus- tralia) Mrs Rutherford (formery of Ararat) and Mrs C. Munt (Stawell).