DEATH OF PIONEER MR. JOHN THOMAS EDGAR. Pioneer pastoralist of the Western District in Mr. John Thomas Edgar, passed away in Melbourne on Thurs- day. " Born at Portland in 1848, he was the elder son of the late Mr. and Mrs. David Edgar, pioneer settlers of the Harrow district, and the founder of the Pine Hill estate. Here the late John Thomas Edgar re- ceived his primary education at a private school, subsidised by his late father for the benefit of the early settlers' children in that district. Later he became one of the pioneer scholars of the Hamilton College. He afterwards went to Scotch Col- lege and leaving that institution in 1863, proceeded to Pine Hills where he remained until 1870. It was there that he received a grounding in merino stock that helped him to es- tablish the reputation he later en- joyed as an expert and breeder of merino sheep that held their own ag- ainst all competition in all States in Australia. As a judge his services were also sought in various States and along with another contemporary (the late Mr. Moodie), he judged for the Tasmanian Pastoralist Society. In 1870, Mr. David Edgar pur- chased Kadnook estate, of which Mr. John Thomas Edgar took over the management, and some years after became the owner. At Kadnook he established a stud of very high stan- dard by the introduction of rams from the Lara estate, owned by the late Mr. J. L. Currie. Kadnook rams became known all over Australia. In 1871 he linked two old squat- ting faimilies together by his 'mar- riage to Miss Margaret Swan, of Konongwootong, and from this un- ion there came a family of twelve. During his residence at Kadnook, he became known in all walks of life as one of the district's most progre- sive men. As a councillor and pres- ident for many years he rendered yeoman service in the Kowree Shire Council, of which his father was a foundation member. For nearly half a century he was president on many occasions of the Border Pastor- alist Show, which later became known as the Edenhope Show. As far back as 1883, Kadnook sheep were winners there. He is the last member of a body of councillors of the Kowree and Wannon Shires who were instrumental in builing the present Harrow bridge, which was officially opened in 1884. . He was a member and captain, for many years of the Harrow Cricket Club, and handled the team that won the fam- ous Murray Challenge Cup. On his retirement from Kadnook, he lived for a time in New South Wales, but later made his home in Melbourne. With his death. passes the last of the direct members of the family of the Pine Hills Edgars. Those left to mourn his loss are his widow, and family of eleven; namely William, Harold, Swan, Walter, Otto, Ian and Dean. David and Ronald predeceased him, .the latter falling in the last war. The other members of the family are Mrs S. L. Officer, Mrs. C. Youngman, and Mrs. K. Nicholson.-"Spectator."