No corrections yet
C.pe Nelson Lighthouse. The ceremony of laying the foun dution stone . of the Cape Nelson lighthouse took place on April 20th, 1883, when the mayor, Major Trangmar, did his part of the busi ness in his usual efficient way. Af ter declaring the stone well and truly laid, he then deposited in the cavity made for the purpose, a copy of the "Mirror" newspaper, one of the "Guardian," and seven coins of the realm. A document descriptive of the ceremony, giving 'names and dates relating to the Government as well as local municipal matters, was also deposited. On the return of the party to Portland they were en ts.rtained by the mayor at Mac's Hotel. Among those present at this memorable banquet were Messrs. H. E. Brewer, R. Henty, H. C. Brooke, Norman McLeod, H. J. M. Campbell, Archer, Butler, Rees, A- - kinson, Young, Wilson and Lindsay Clarke.