No corrections yet
Obituary. The death of Mrs. John Molloy, senr., in her 85th year, at her resi dence, Lonsdale Street, Hamilton, removes another old pioneer who en joyed the respect of a large circle of friends. Mrs. Molloy, who cele brated her last birthday on October 1st, was in enjoyment of good health until within a few days of her death, and her cheerful and charitable spirit was evident to the last, as also was her splendid ability as a needlewoman. She had an ex cellent capacity in this direction, and one of her most notable works was a beautiful chocheted altar cloth which she made and presented to St. Mary's Church, Hamilton. With her husband, who died thirteen years ago, Mrs. Molloy resided in Coler nine for many years before going to Hamilton. In both towns she was a good supporter of the Roman Catholie. Church, and she was noted for' hei kindness towards the sick, and her generosity in all charitable cases. Born in the south of Eng land, she came with her parents to Australia when about three years of age, arriving at Portland on the sailing ship Flora McDonald, in 1852. Mrs. Molloy personally knew Messrs. Stephen, Edward and John Henty, and could tell many interesting stories of their activities. In 1858 Mrs. Molloy's parents moved to Coleraine, the journey being made in a bullock waggon, and occupying six weeks.