CRAWFORD & CO.'S HISTORIC BUSINESS
The old-established business of Craw- ford & Co., Limited, which has been sold to Mr. S. O. Beilby, was founded by the late Mr. Hugh Archibald Craw-
lord in the fifties. Later. Messrs. Link- later and Ellis Edwards were associated in the partnership, but in the late seventies the business became known as Crawford & Co. In 1881, Mr. Crawford died, and the late Mr. R. H. Crawford assumed control. The store was then situated at 4, Hindley street in 1896, Crawford & Co. purchased the business of William Pinlayson, at 70. King Wijliam Street, and moved into the present premises. They also pur- chased the business of Mr. Finlayson at Mount Lofty. A limited company was formed in 1920; and Crawford & Co. also acquired the business carried on by the City Cash Stores, in Rundle street. The company originated the scheme for sending gift boxes of dried fruits from Australians to friends in Great Britain—an idea which has been extended in other directions by many firms.