Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by djbcjk - Show corrections

NOMENCLATURE OF QUEENSLAND.—200  

MORVEN.—A town in the Mitchell dis- trict, 427 miles from Brisbane. The Morven Down cattle station was named in 1862 by Oscar de Satge (a

pastoral pioneer and afterwards   member of Parliament for Clermont) after a town in Scotland. MOSELLE.—A town on the Cloncurry   line, about 60 miles from Hughen- den; it was named by J. B. Brodie, who took up the original property after Moselle in Alsace in France. MOSMAN.—A town in North Queens-   land, also a river which flows into the ocean at Port Douglas; it was named by George E. Dalrymple in   1873 after Hugh D. Mosman, a min- eral explorer. The accepted spelling is Mossman.   MOUNT ABUNDANCE.—A hill near   Roma, and a pastoral property. The hill was named-on May 7, 1846, by   Sir Thomas Mitchell because of the magnificent prospect that he saw.   The first station on the Maranoa was established there in 1847 by Allan Macpherson; it was sold to Stephen   Spencer in 1857.   (TO BE CONTINUED)  

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down