THE NEW COUNTIES.
THIRTY-ONE new counties were proclaimed in a supplement to the Government Gazette of the 30th ult. Below we give the proclamation, with the names of the counties ; but our limited space compels us to confine our extracts to the defini- tions of the boundaries of those counties which
lie to the northward and north-westward of Syd- ney, and which are most likely to interest our readers. The remaining counties in the middle district are Dampier, Beresford, Cowley, Buc- cleuch, Wallace, and Wellesley. All the others are in the district of Port Phillip.
By his Excellency Sir Charles A. Fitz Roy, &c.,
Whereas her Majesty was graciously pleased by letters patent, under the great seal of the united Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, bearing date at Westminster the 20th day of Fe- bruary, 1846, to give and grant to me full power and authority, with the advice and consent of the Executive Council, to issue a proclamation or proclamations, dividing the territory of New South Wales into districts, counties, hundreds, and pa- rishes, and to appoint the limits thereof respect- ively ; and whereas by a certain order of her Majesty in Council, dated the 9th day of March, 1847, it was amongst other things directed that "the intermediate districts by the said order ap- pointed to be established, should comprehend, in addition to certain lands therein specified, any county or counties of which the boundaries might be fixed and proclaimed on or before the 31st of December, 1848 : Now, therefore, I, the said Sir Charles Augustus Fitz Roy, as such Governor aforesaid, in pursuance of the power and authority so vested in me, do hereby, with the advice and consent of the Executive Council, proclaim that certain parts or portions of land in the said ter- ritory of New South Wales, as hereinafter de- scribed, have been admeasured and laid out as
separate and distinct counties within the said colony, and that the same shall be known and called by the respective names following, that is to say:--March, Canning, Ward, Rous, Rich- mond, Clarence, Raleigh, Dudley, Vernon, Hawes, Parry, Buckland, Dampier, Beresford, Cowley, Buccleuch,; Wallace, Wellesley, Follet, Dundas, Villiers, Ripon, Hampden, Heytesbury, Polwarth, Grenville, Talbot, Dalhousie, Anglesey, Evelyn, and Mornington ; and I do hereby further notify and proclaim that the boundaries and limits of the said several and respective counties are and shall be as follows, subject nevertheless to such more exact determination thereof, with reference to the natural features of the countiy, as may hereafter be deemed expedient ; that is to say :
Sydney o& Middle District.
County of March, containing about 1925 square miles. Bounded on the south by Moroo- chydore river to its source, thence by the range dividing the system of the river Mary from that of the Brisbane, to the main source of the Mary ; on the west by the Mary ; on the north-east by the coast of Wide Bay ; and on the east by the sea-coast to the mouth of the Moroochydore.
County of Canning, containing about 1330 square miles. Bounded on the east by the sea coast from the 27th parallel of south latitude to the river Moroochydore, including part of Bribie's Island and other islands within these limits ; on the north by the Moroochydore river to its source, thence by the range dividing the waters of the river Mary from those of the Brisbane to Jemma, at the source of the Brisbane ; on the south-west by the river Brisbane until it reaches the 27th parallel of south latitude ; and on the south by the 27th parallel of south latitude, which ¡3 the northern boundary of the present reputed county of Stanley.
County of Ward, containing about 1105 square miles. Bounded on the south by the range which runs from Point Danger to Mount Lindesay, and thence to Wilson's Peak, on the great dividing range ; on the north-west by-the range which divides the waters of the Tevoit from those of the Bremer, until it meets the 23th parallel of south latitude ; on the north by that parallel ; and on the east by the sea-coast to Point Danger.
County of Rous, containing about 1772 square miles. Bounded on the south and west by the river Richmond to the spot where its course changes from east to south ; thence by a line due north to the range which forms the southern boundary of the county of Ward ; on the north by that range to Point Danger ; and on the east by the sea-coast to the mouth of the river Rich-
County of Richmond, containing about 1435 -square miles. Bounded on the north by the river «Richmond, from the sea-coast to the junction of /Eden Creek, and by Eden Creek to its junction with Dyrabba Creek, and front thence by a line bearing south-west to Shannon Brook, and by Shannon Brook to the commencement of Hogarth's Range, and by that range to the dividing range, between the waters of the Richmond and those of the river Clarence ; and by the same range to the source of the Tabulam rivulet, and by that rivulet to the river Clarence; on the west by the river Clarence, downwards to the point of the Coal Ridge at the junction of Nettle Creek ; on the south and south-east by the Coal Ridge to the dividing range between the waters of tlie Richmond and those of the Clarence, and by the same range to'a point bearing south-west from Mount Double- duke, and from thence by a line bearing north- east to th« summit of that mountain, and from thence by a line bearing east to the sea-coast ; and on the east by the sea-coast.
County of Clarence, containing about 1215 square miles. Bounded on the south by a line commencing on the sea coast, and bearing west to the summit of Mount Elanie, and from thence by Elanie Creek to the river Orara, and by that river on the south-west and weat-to its confluence with the river Clarence to that point of tlie Coal Ridge, at tlie junction of Nettle Creek ; on the north and north-west by the Coal Ridge to the dividing range, between the waters of the Clarence and those of tlie Richmond ; and by that range to a point bearing south-west from Mount Doubleduke ; and from thence by a line bearing north-east to the summit of that mountain ; and from thence by a line bearing east to the sea coast, and on the east by the sea coast.
"-County of Raleigh, containing about 1780 square miles. Bounded on the south and south- west by the Bellinger river, from the sea coast to its source in the dividing range, between the waters of the Bellinger and those of the rivers Boyd and ¿tooth Boyd ; on the west by the range dividing the waters of the Boyd and South Boyd to their Confluence; and > from thence by the river Boyd, to'-its confluence with the river Mitchell, and by that river to its confluence with the river Clarence ; on the north and north-east by the river Clarence to «the junction of the river Orara ; and by that - river to the junction of the Elanie Creek ; and by
that creek to-Mouut Elanie, tod ft m thence by a
line bearing east io the sea coast ; and on the east by the sea coast, including the Solitary Ishnda.
County of Dudley, containing about 207a square tnile3. Bounded on the south by the river M'Leav, from the sea coast to the junction of the river Dyke j on the west by the river Dyke, to its source in the range dividing its waters fion those of the rivers .J3ellinger~-and'^J"'byd, and by that range to thetourceof the ritfer'Bellinger ; on the north hythe Bellinger,'to jj^e sea'coast; and on the east by the sea coast. " '?*%)?
Countv of Vernon, containirtgV about 1632 squareplles. Bounded on tlieiouth-east by the countjr?îf Macquarie from the'river M'Leay to Mount Kippara, thence by the range which divides the waters of the river M'Leay from those of the rivers Hastings and Manning to its junction with tlie great dividing range near the head 0/ Cobra- bald Creek ; on the west by the great dividing range as far as the Black Note range, which di- vides the sources of the iiv-r M'Leay from those of the river Apsley ; and on the north by the Black Note Range as far as Mount Black Note at the head of Ohio Creek, thence by Ohio Creek to the river Apsley, then by the river Apsley to the river M'Leay, and then by the M'Leay.
County of Hawes, containing* about 1450 square miles. Bounded on the east by part of the boundary of the county of Macquarie, being a line from the confluence of tlie Barnard and Manning rivers to Mount Sea View;on the river Hastings, thence by a line north to^hat river, and by that river lo Mount Werrekimbee, thence by the Werrekimbee spur to its junction with the range which divides the waters of therlver M'Leay from those of the Hastings ; on the north by that range to its junction with the great dividing range at the head of Cobrabald Creek ; on the west by the great dividing range to its junction with the range which separates the waters of the river Barnard from those of the river Hunter ; and on the south by that range as far as Mount Woolum bland, at the heads of the Hunter river and Oran creek, thence by the range from Wool um bland to
Mount Currakabah at the head of the river Man-
ning, and from thence by the river Manning to
its confluence with the river Barnard.
Countv of Parry, containing about 1240 square miles ; bounded on the south-west by the range which divides the waters of the river Peel from the waters of the river Conadilly ; on the north by the rivers Peel and Cockburn ; on the east also by the river Cockburn to its head ; and on the south by the great dividing range.
County of Buckland, containing about 1434 square miles. Bounded on the south by the great dividing range which separates it from the coun- ties of Brisbane and Bligh ; on the west by the Omaleah and Beraboola creeks, and by the river Conadilly ; on the north by the river Nammoi ; and on the north-east by the range forming the soutq-west boundary of the county of Parry.
LAND AND IMMIGRATION DEPOSITS.
Colonial Secretary's Office,
Sydney, 22nd December, 1848. In pursuance of instructions received from the Right Honourable the Secretary of State, his Ex- cellency the Governor, with the advice of the Executive Council, has bein pleased to establish the following Regulations, under which persons who may deposit in the Colonial Treasury sums intended by them to be invested in the purchase of crown lands, will receive an allowance of in- terest thereon, with the right of nominating the emigrants on whose introduction the portion of the money-which is applicable to immigration purposes shall be expended :
1.-Money intended to be invested in the pur- chase of crown lands, under the ordinary Regu- lations of the Government, may be deposited in the Colonial Treasury, at Sydney or Melbourne, in even sums of not less than five pounds each, and on all money so deposited there will be allowed interest at the rate of five per cent, per annum for any period not exceeding five years from the date of the deposit, during which the money shall remain unapplied to tlie purchase of crown lands. On any money which shall have remained ump plied to the purchase of crown lands fur a period exceeding five years, no fuither interest will be paid.
2.-The interest will be payable in cash, half yearly, and may be demanded at the Treasury on or after the 1st January and the 1st July in each
3.-For all deposits under this notice, a receipt will be given, which will be available as cash at any government land sale or in payment foi any crown Lind which, having been once offered at auction, may be open to selection under the Re- gulations of the 1st March, 1843, clauses 11 and 12, or for any lands beyond the settled districts which may be purchased under the pre-emptive right conferred by her Majesty's Order in Council of tlie 9th March, 1847 ; but no sums deposited will be returnable in any other shape than a credit in the purchase of land.
4.-If the pi ice of crown land purchased at any one time by the holder of a deposit receipt shall b<i less than the amount deposited, the differ- ence or balance will still remain at the credit of the holder of the receipt for the purchase of a further portion of land, and the receipt will be returned with an endorsement stating the extent to which it has been used.
5.-Receipts for deposits under this notice will be transferable, but they must be transferred by endorsement, in the same manner as bills of ex- change. The last person to whom any receipt may be endorsed will be considered the holder of it, and it will be received at the Colonial Treasury, at Sydney or Melbourne, from him or his agent only.
6.-Every depositor under this notice, or the last endorsee of his receipt (should the original depositor and the previous endorsees have failed to avail themselves of the privilege), will be allowed at any time within two years from the date of the deposit, to demand that any portion not exceeding eighty per cent, of the amount deposited shall be applied towards the payment of passages to this colony for such emigrants as he may nominate, provided that such emigrants be eligible in all respects for free passages under the regulations of the Colonial Land and Emigration Commis-
7.-Should the persons nominated by depositors in accordance with the provisions of the preceding clause, prove to be ineligible under the Commis- sioners' regulations, or should they fail to embark when and where the Commissioners may direct, the selection of other emigrants in their stead w ill rest with the Commissioners, and no further no- mination on the part of the depositors will be
8.-Persons availing themselves of the privi- lege conferred by clause 6, will be required to produce their deposit receipts at the office of the Colonial Secretary, in Sydney, or at the oflice of the Superintendent of Port Phillip, in Melbourut«
in order that their nomination of emigrants may
be noted thereon. "-^-.C
The above regulations are to take effect at the commencement of the ensuing year.
By his Excellency's command,
E. Deas Thomson.