NOMENCLATURE OF QUEENSLAND — 306
WHITSUNDAY PASSAGE.— One of the beauty spots of North Queens- land. It was named by Captain Cook in June, 1770, because "we discov-
ered the Passage on the day the Church commemorates the festival of Whitsunday." WIDE BAY.— A large open bay near Maryborough, lying between Double Island Point and the south end of Fraser Island, about 80 miles from Cape Moreton. It was named by Cap- tain Cook in May, 1770. WIDGEE.— A local authority area near Gympie; it is a corruption of the native words, "Witchee Witchee," meaning "Listen!" or "Hark!" WIDGEEGOARA.— A district near Cunnamulla. It was the native name for a large waterhole, and meant ''Listen Turn round!" The name was given to the original station in 1867 by John Bignell. To be continued.