Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

No corrections yet

NOMENCLATURE OF QUEENSLAND.— 102

Compiled from records in The Oxley Memorial Library.)

DROMARTY.— A railway station on the North Coast line, 25 miles from Townsville; named after the county town in Scotland where Hugh Mil

';*, wic gcuiugiaij, Wits DUm. CROOK NECK. — A peak of the Glass House Mountains; the native , name was Coonowrlm (or Koona warun), believed to be the native word for crooked. The name 'Crooked Neck' was adopted from the meaning of the native name. CROW'S NLST.— A town on a branch railway, 34 miles from Toowoomba; the native name Tookoogandanna meant 'the home of crows.' CROYDON.— One of the historic gold field towns of Queensland, 94 miles from Normanton. It yielded more than a million ounces of gold. The field was discovered by W. C. Brown, who took up the country as a sta tion in December, 1881. and called . it after Croydon in England. CRYSTAL BROOK.— A creek in -the Maranoa district; named by Sir Thomas Mitchell in 1840 because of the amount of crystals of sulphate of lime on the rocks. . (To be continued.)

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down