NOMENCLATURE OF QUEENSLAND.— 11
(Compiled from records in the Oxley Memorial Library.)
APPLETHORPE: Railway station near Stanthorpe. The original name was Roessler, from a German settler. Officially altered in 1915.
and named after the apple orchards in the district. ARAMAC: A creek, tributary of the Thomson River; named by Wil- liam Landsborough, explorer, in 1862, from a contraction of the name of Robert Ramsay Mac- kenzie (after Sir Robert), then Treasurer, and, later, Premier of Queensland. The town is named from the creek. ARATULA: Township on Mount Ed- wards railway, 60 miles from Bris- bane; native name (meaning un- known) given by the Railway Department to the station when the line was opened. The original name was "Cachen Gate," from a subdivision of Fassifern estate, on which was a large gate across the road to Warwick. ARBOUIN: Township on Mungana railway, 150 miles from Cairns; named in 1896 by Mr. John Mof- fatt after the first prospector in that district. (To be Continued.)