3 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
YERILLA, which is situated between Edjudina and the Granites, is at present one of the deserted mining camps of the fields. Early in 1895 McAuliffe and party after finding gold at Yerilla, proceeded to the Yilgangi soak, about 22 miles distant, as their water supply had run out. Here they met with Macgregor and party, whom they eventually per suaded to accompany them. Shortly after the latter party's arrival, they discovered a wonderfully rich out crop, one 4 cwt. piece of ore producing no less than £1ooo worth of gold. A lease, which was called the Queen of the Earth, was pegged out by Mac Gregor and party, and was quitted for a large sum, but further developments were satisfactory. Some time ago, the Government, in response to a peti tion from the working holders of lease around Yerilla, erected a battery. but as it was poorly patronised, the plant was recently dismantled and carted to Niagara. where it will commence opera tions in January next.