Lists (None yet)

Login to create lists

Tagged (None yet)

Add Tags

Comments (None yet)

Add New Comment

1 correction by judywright - Show corrections

OBITUARY

MR. A. R. REID

Former Curator of Zoo

Interest in Animals

Mr-. A, K. Reid,- formerly Curator of Beaumaris Zoo, died yesterday at -the ago of 70 years Mr. Reid resigned re- cently owing to Ill-health, his resigna- tion taking effect on December 1.

Mr. Reid, who was the third son of the late Alexander and Janet Reid, of Edin- burgh, came to Tasmania at the ago of

MR. A. R. REID. ,

21 years. As a schoolboy In Scotland   Mr. Reid spent all his spare time in the woods studying the habits of. animals and birds, and collecting birds' eggs. All his life he has never been without a pet, and when he came to Tasmania he took a special interest in the rearing of pheasants and other English birds. When- the Hobart City Council took over Beaumaris .Zoo' Mr. Reid, who was appointed curator In April, 1922, was entrusted with the designing of the zoo and the acquisition of the animals.    

Mr. Reid, was a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Independent --'Order of Odd- fellows, the Royal-Society, and the Tas- manian Field Naturalists' Club. He is survived by his wife, a son, Mr. James Reid, of Victoria; and two daughters, Mrs. Maclaine of Claremont, and Miss Allison Reid. ' ' ' ', '.

The funeral will -take place at Cor- nelian Bay Cemetery this afternoon.,

MR.. W. D. REID

DEATH IN MELBOURNE.

Mr. William Daniel Reid, who died this week at South Yarra,- Melbourne, was for. several years associated with the Mines Laboratory at Launceston. He was in .charge when the .laboratory was opened in 1915. and about six years ago he resigned through ill-health, and took a private practice In Melbourne During his term In Launceston he was responsible for many valuable reports to the Government He was a brother of Mr. A. McIntosh Reid, who at one time was Director of Mines 1n Tasma- nia. Ho twice represented, the Tasma- nian Government on mining matters at the Wembley Exhibition in England. Before joining the Mines Department he was an associate of the School of Mines at Zeehan, and was connected with mining activities on the West Coast in the early days. He married Miss E. G. Good, who, some years ago, conducted Zeicho's .Business College at Launces- ton. "_'

Zoom

plus
thumb
minus
left
thumb
right
up
thumb
down