4 corrections, most recently by anonymous - Show corrections
BAY ROAD STATION.
NAME CHANGED TO
Without ostentation, the name of Bay Road railway station was yesterday changed to Waverton. People who travelled along the North Shore line from Milson's Point last evening noticed, to their astonishment that the old name of the Bay Road station had dis- appeared and had given place to Waverton. Many passengers rubbed their eyes in won-
derment and for the moment were uncertain whether they were on the right train.
It is understood that the decision to change the name resulted from a recommendation by the Bay Road Progress Association, but the change was made without any ceremony and without any prior advice by the Railway Department. Several senior officers of the department stated last evening that they had no knowledge of the change. Officers of the North Sydney Council also declared that no offical intimation had been made to the coun cil of the department's decision
The station has borne the name of Bay Road since the section of the line in which it is included was opened for traffic on May 1, 1893 On that date the section from St Leonards to Milson's Point was opened, the line from Hornsby to St Leonards having been opened on January 1, 1890
The name of Waverton was derived from that of the Waverton estate, one of the oldest properties in the neighbourhood of the sta- tion. There is a Waverton-avenue and a Waverton-lane in North Sydney municipality.