No corrections yet
P'MATTA LGSES FINE CITIZEN DEATH OF JOHN SHORTER By the death of Mr. John Shorter, of Boundary-street, which occurred at the Masonic Hospital on Friday, Parramatta has lost one of its most eminent citizens, one who had labor ed long and faithfully for the public welfare. He was in his 89th year. Mr. Shorter was born in Stafford shire in 1853. Prominent among his activities in England were those as sociated with the Methodist Church. When he came to Australia in 1880, he lived for a while at Burwood moving then to the Parramatta dis trict, where-except for occasional trips to England-he remained for. the rest of his life. He quickly associated himself with the Leigh Memorial Methodist Church, of which down through the years he was a staunch supporter. He was a trustee for many years, and also held the position of president. En joying the respect and affection of the entire congregation, he came to be regarded as the grand old man of the church. A staunch churchman, Mr. Shorter was also a public spirited citizen. Prominent in the political sphere for rllil?lfillflfllHiE ll lllE llll h I lillErIIE E l 1'11
many years, he was also a member of the Park Trust, and was closely identified with various movements to promote the welfare of the district. He was a keen supporter of local ,musical societies. Intensely loyal, he was a ready supporter of any patriotic cause, always prepared to demonstrate his patriotism in tangible form. A man of broad sympathy, he was. ever ready.to aid the cause of charity. Mr. Shorter was one of the found ers of the Parramatta Electric Supply Company-now the Parramatta-Gran ville Electric Supply Company-and was the first chairman of the Board of Directors. For many years Mr. Shorter con ducted an agency for Doulton &' Co. Ltd., an English pottery firm, and visited England periodically in con nection with the business. He was a member of Lodge Parra niatta St. George, U.G.L. Mr. Shorter leaves a widow, three sons, and five daughters. Relatives and friends assembled in large numbers at the Rookwood Cre matorium on Saturday. The service was cdnducted by Rev. T. M. Tay lor. Rev. H. E. Andrew's, a former minister of the Leigh Memorial Church, delivered the address. An other former minister of this church, Rev. E. E. Hines, also took part in the service. Appropriate references to Vr.. Shorter's long record of service were made by Rev. T. M. Taylor at the Leigh Memorial Church on Sunday.