Thread: 'From other websites'

'From other websites'

On the home page down the left hand side there is a section called 'from other websites' - how are these websites generated?

If i tick 'Australian content' - it still seems to bring up (mostly) results from America, and/or Amazon.com, are these results searched through google.com.au (or searched how?) if i have ticked 'aussie content'? If do the same search outside trove in aussie google or bing, i get much different results and more importantly, more relavent results.

Also, my own website/blog is pretty well established within google and comes up well for the name Gambrill - is there a way i can submit my sites so that it has a chance of coming up within the 'from other websites'

Thanks.
    --My Website-- Researching GAMBRILL and those closely related

Trove Development Team jmeakins [NLA]'s Avatar
    The websites searched vary depending on which Trove zone you are focused on. If you are looking at results for Pictures and Photos, Trove will show Flickr and Wikipedia results. For the Books etc. zone, it's Amazon Books, Google Books and Wikipedia. The same two or three websites are always searched for any particular zone. This approach is not scalable, and is less than ideal - results from these websites can't be relevance ranked with other results, for instance. Hence, only a few websites can be included.

Although the Archived Websites zone says it's showing results from "Google", this is actually referring to Google Books. Which results are shown is decided by the other website. Trove sends the other website the keywords and they send back the results to show.

Basically the same search (as your Trove search) is done on the "other website", but it's somewhat limited and you will find that more advanced searches aren't perfectly reproduced. For example, a Trove search for table NOT chair might only search for table, ignoring the second part of the query. The "Australian" limit is one of these sacrificed fields.

The National Library doesn't receive any payment for showing results from these other websites - they are shown purely because we thought they might be useful for you guys. The websites searched may change over time, but this post reports the current situation. There is currently no work scheduled to change the websites searched.

Google Search allows selection of "Pages from Australia," so why not only grab pages within the".au" domain. Or is this too hard??

An issue with using the Google search method as John noted above is that there are a lot of Australian sites that are not .au domains.

Quote Originally Posted by John.F.Hall View Post
    Or is this too hard??
    No need to be a smart arse
    --My Website-- Researching GAMBRILL and those closely related

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfamilytree View Post
    On the home page down the left hand side there is a section called 'from other websites' - how are these websites generated?

If i tick 'Australian content' - it still seems to bring up (mostly) results from America, and/or Amazon.com, are these results searched through google.com.au (or searched how?) if i have ticked 'aussie content'? If do the same search outside trove in aussie google or bing, i get much different results and more importantly, more relavent results.

Also, my own website/blog is pretty well established within google and comes up well for the name Gambrill - is there a way i can submit my sites so that it has a chance of coming up within the 'from other websites'

Thanks.
    in respect to your first query. A site can be a .com site but owned by someone in Australia and indeed be targeted to the Australian market by advising Google of that requirement even if the site is actually hosted in the USA or anywhere else overseas. Also a .com site can be hosted here in Australia, be owned by an Australian (individual or business) and set up with Google to target the U.S. market (zone) and still rank very well when searching "pages from Australia". the .com is called the Tld (Top Level Domain) extension - in the case of .com.au the Tld is .com and .au is the ccTld (CC = Country Code). So if searching .com.au sites Google knows the target "zone" is Australia because of the ccTld extension (you cannot tell Google to make the target market another zone in the case of a ccTld).

So it will not be uncommon to get varying Tld extension results. Additionally within a site (within its meta data) may be references to Australia which helps it rank in searches for Australian content.

This is a very (very) brief explanation of what can happen when searching. If you need more info then just reply - if you are tracing family history or some other very specific info then "long tail" search queries can help.

cheers,
    Mike

I should learn to read with my eyes

Unless you have "forced" Google to do a search through servers in the U.S. and not in Australia you will find all your searches are via Google.com.au, meaning through their Australian based servers which show preference in search results to .com.au or .net.au results. If having issues with searches being too localised then use a different search engine, e.g. try Yahoo which is Google driven but does not use Australian based servers - others are similar.
    Last edited by mraadgev [NLA]; 11-07-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removed commercial link - Please view the terms of use.

Also, if you have a gmail account, log out of that, that way it will not try and adapt google to you.