Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Cross Cottage

Hybrid View

Ryan Cross Cottage

Searching for any relation to John Ryan from Limerick Ireland . The family farm was called Cross Cottage. John Ryan was the market inspector at Sandhurst (Bendigo} His wife died in Ireland and John Ryan migrated to Australia with his 5 children. the children went to New Zealand Two returned to Australia Kitty and Ted Ryan. Any information greatly appreciated
    colin ryan

Prolific poster
    Not enough specific information; your own input is not sufficient. E.g - dates. 1850? 1900? 1950?
    What were the real names of "Kitty" and "Ted"? Kitty might had been Kathleen or Catherine, or something else. Ted could have been Edward or Edwin. (In my own family, the real names of two of my "Teds" were George James and Frederick Stephen!)
    General suggestions:
    1. Does your local State Library or genealogical society have New Zealand births, deaths and marriages records? Because of NZ's small population, these are easily searchable and fairly good.
    2. Passenger lists for ships between NZ and Melbourne (and possibly Sydney). On microform, in the State libraries or National or State archives in some States. And most genealogical societies in capital cities have them; but you need to be a member, or pay a research fee.)
    3. BDM for Victoria.
    4. Electoral rolls, Bendigo. These may not apply, as you have not given dates.
    5. Get advice from your local Council library; a lot of them have access to ancestry.com and other commerical sources.
    If you get back fairly close to the date of their arrival in Australia, you might be able to find out whether they were sponsored migrants, the ship by which they first arrived, possibly comments on them. But you will need expert help in dealing with Irish records, parish and land tenure. It will cost. Probably a lot. And Ryan was not exactly an uncommon name in Ireland.

Prolific poster
    The New Zealand BDM index is now available online:
    https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

There are also lots of useful New Zealand genealogy links compiled on this page:
    http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/handsonh...enealogy-links

There is even a web page specifically devoted to Irish immigrants to New Zealand:
    http://www.geocities.ws/nziconnection/immlist.htm

The outward bound passenger lists for Victoria (index online) also includes shipping to New Zealand.

And of course there is the New Zealand online newspapers at:
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast
    Last edited by Spearth; 05-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I have added more information, I have the family tree in Ireland back to 1710. it is a lost Uncle here in Australia that I am trying any sort of way to find

Prolific poster
    @ Spearth: I have a bit of NZ research that I want to do (not re my own family), so I thought that the NZ govt site would be great. It seems that you have to know the information before you can search for it, but if you know it you would not need to search for it. If you see what I mean. My name searches were rejected because I could not give dates of birth and death. (Somewhere in the 1880s, so within the period released.) The microform releases are less obstructive, or at least easier to use, once you can find a place that has them..

Prolific poster
    The New Zealand BDMs is not the most user-friendly of websites, but you certainly do not have to know the dates.

It insists on you entering a search "From" date and insists that it must be in the format "01/01/1900", but once you do that it all works. The earliest records start from 1840 so it will complain if you put a "From" date earlier than "01/01/1840" - however official registrations started in 1848.
    Last edited by Spearth; 05-03-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I see you have found 'The Argus' notices about him (such as marriage in 1863 and death in 1885). Have you also realised there are a lot of Country Market articles regarding him in the Ballarat paper 'The Star'? Not all that thrilling though.

Prolific poster
    You must have been very lucky and / or very diligent to have been able to trace your Irish ancestry back that far. But still: if you want help to obtain more information about your "lost uncle" in Australia, people need more concrete information about him.

Not luck, just plain hard work and trips to Ireland. If I had any more "concrete" information I would supply it. The major link is Cross Cottage, when any one from the farm most of the time will mention Cross Cottage.

Ryan Cross Cottage

Hello Colin

I have been researching this family for sometime. Kitty did not return to Australia -her sister Alice (Alicia) and also brother Ted (Edward) did. Please contact me through private messaging for more info.

Thanks
    RR