Thread: Title incorrect - Tyre Foundry should be Type Foundry

Title incorrect - Tyre Foundry should be Type Foundry

Hi there,

I've done corrections on the following article:
    http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5914256

But I can't correct the title.

THE VICTORIAN TYRE FOUNDRY.
    The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956) Tuesday 6 February 1877 p 7 Article

Should be
    THE VICTORIAN TYPE FOUNDRY.

Prolific poster
    This is not currently possible. It has been discussed several times.
    Point is: it ought to be possible. The majority of titles contain some sort of error. Many are unimportant. Some are highly amusing. A few are obscene.
    I don't understand the computer programming process well enough to know whether it is too difficult to fix this, or whether there are other reasons for not making this possible. At least, to have some facility for notifying administration so that they can change any bad error. The peculiarities in the headings look very unprofessional, and to some extent detract from the respect that is due to Trove.

Hi Kattekrab and Catessa,

Catessa is correct, this functionality is not currently available in Trove. We may add the ability for users to correct this in future, however we are not currently able to do so.

Unfortunately we are unable to change these either, however any particularly bad errors we probably can arrange to have changed (it requires IT intervention)

Mark
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Oh! Yes, that is unfortunate.

That would be a great feature enhancement for Trove, in fact really, seems a bit of an oversight.

Hope that can happen in the future.

Thanks for your replies

- Donna

I sincerely believe that changes to headings (and the first 4 lines of news articles) - which are totally independent of the OCR / ETT text - should never be made available for editing to the general public.

There could easily be irreparable damage done if this was allowed.

You only have to have seen the rubbish created, and also deletion of text, by some so-called text correctors to realise this, and I have probably seen more than most.

The current independence of Headings (etc.) from the ETT text means that many items can be found that otherwise would not.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

The risks that you have identified are some of the reasons that this has not been implemented, so we will not be rushing to provide this functionality.

Mark
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by annmanley View Post
    I sincerely believe that changes to headings (and the first 4 lines of news articles) - which are totally independent of the OCR / ETT text - should never be made available for editing to the general public.

There could easily be irreparable damage done if this was allowed.

You only have to have seen the rubbish created, and also deletion of text, by some so-called text correctors to realise this, and I have probably seen more than most.

The current independence of Headings (etc.) from the ETT text means that many items can be found that otherwise would not.

Ann
    Yes, there exists a possible risk to Headings from vandalism or poor correcting.
    However, there is definitely a number of Headings that do not match what they should be - meaning that there are many items that may not be found that otherwise would be.

Maybe there are alternatives that could provide a balance between risk of misuse, and lack of accuracy in titles.

One that I can think of is creating a higher-permission status for trusted users to enable them to edit Headings.
    They can be chosen, based upon Trove's estimation of user's accuracy, number of corrections, long-term use, or whatever (they may pick some from the top 200 correctors or similar) - with it being made clear that it is by invitation only, that requests for such status will not be accepted, no discussion to be entered into, etc. (to avoid the "Why can't I be one too?" problems).

These trusted people could correct them and there could easily be a thread in the forum where others users can post their requests to have Headings fixed (just for important or much needed Headings), and the first "trustee" to fix it could just answer that it has been done.
    [ I'm thinking "trustee", like on a board of trustees, not prison "trustees" :-) ]

It would enable Headings to be fixed and should involve very little Trove staff time (just picking the few users and/or staff to be on the approved list).

There may be more to this problem than I am aware of, but this is just a thought to try to cover Ann's concerns.
    Of course, it may be too technically hard or time-consuming for the IT people to put these changes in place.
    Or someone else may have a better idea.

Or leave the responsibility for fixing the headings with the staff and just give the public a way to flag a problem exists with a specific article

A further comment:

If the title of the text has been corrected in the ETT it should be searchable anyway, so that mistakes in the independent heading (and first 4 lines of text in news articles) should be irrelevant.

However, the ETT text quite often misses the title lines, so text correctors should ensure that they add these in before the words in the first line of the ETT.

Many people choose not to correct text, but only tag or comment, so these may constitute some of the complainants.

Ann