Thread: Titles for newspaper articles saved to the hard drive

Titles for newspaper articles saved to the hard drive

I was wondering whether it would be at all possible to make a change to saving newspaper articles from Trove.

I save quite a few article to my desktop both as pdf and jpeg files, however, whenever I do this they are titled like the following: as article75561388-6-001.jpg. It would be such a great time-saver if these were saved automatically as ARTICLE TITLE, NEWSPAPER, DATE, PAGE NUMBER, i.e. "What the Kaiser Wants," The Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate, Friday 14 December 1917, page 3.jpg

Is there anyway to do this?

You might find Zotero (http://zotero.org) useful. Zotero is a research manager that somes with a translator for the Trove newspaper database built in. With one click you can quickly and easily save complete details of any article together with a pdf copy to you own computer.
    Tim Sherratt
    @wragge on Twitter
    Words at discontents.com.au
    Experiments at wraggelabs.com and labs.nma.gov.au

Prolific poster
    I suspect the problem here, from NLA's point view, is how should they format the ARTICLE TITLE, NEWSPAPER, DATE, PAGE NUMBER in the filename. There are many different 'standard' reference formats and whichever way they provided the filename it would only satisfy some of the users. Whereas the "article75561388-6-001.jpg" filename includes the permanent article identifier which will always be able to lead anybody directly back to the original article on Trove. Interestingly, I notice that saving an article as a PDF does not include the permanent article identifier for some reason.

The other issue is users will have different requirements for the filenames in terms of sorting in their file manager. If you want your downloaded articles sorted chronologically then the date will have to be at the front (and in reverse order, yyyy-mm-dd); or you may want the articles sorted by newspaper, in which case the Title will have to be at the front; etc.

If you click the "Cite" button for any article then you will be provided with a few alternative reference formats, as well as the permanent article identifier. So if you wanted to you could copy the text for the reference in the format that suits you and then paste that into the filename when you go to save the PDF or JPEG of the article. This may not save too much time but will make it much easier to be sure you have the details correct in your filename. However, you may need to remove some of the unnecessary detail not needed in the filename (i.e. City and publication years).

Examples of the alternative reference formats supplied:

APA citation:
    Family Notices. (1932, July 18). Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), p. 5

MLA citation:
    "Family Notices." Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954) 18 Jul 1932: 5

Harvard citation:
    1932 'Family Notices.', Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), 18 July, p. 5
    Last edited by Spearth; 15-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.