Thread: Bendigo Advertiser

Unhappy Bendigo Advertiser

As Bendigo was such an important town in early Victorian history I'm disappointed that the Bendigo Advertiser is not available on Trove. Seems ridiculous that researchers would have to travel to Bendigo to see the papers. Anybody know any online sites that have them available or if Bendigo Library would distribute microfilms etc to other state libraries?

Hi mrspenceryoung.

You can see which libraries hold copies of the Bendigo Advertiser by searching in the 'Journals, articles and data sets' zone (http://trove.nla.gov.au/article/resu...igo+advertiser), then looking at the 'All Libraries' tab to see which libraries hold a copy - there are multiple records for the Bendigo Advertiser, so you may need to check to see that the dates you are looking for are covered. It should be possible for your to get a copy of the microfilm sent to your State Library on Inter-Library loan, if they do not already hold it.

With regards to digitisation of the Bendigo Advertiser, title selections are made in consultation with the state and territory libraries, and we unfortunately cannot provide any information on when a title may be digitised, or the reasons why specific titles may be selected or not. Please submit a suggestion for this title through the form here. Note that you will not receive a response from this form, as it is used purely for recording suggested titles.

Mark
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

I would agree with mrspenceryoung that The Bendigo Advertiser is quite important in regard to Victoria's history and development. Looking at microfilm/fische is not so easy when you're not sure what you're looking for, having a search tool makes all the difference in the world.

Prolific poster
    There are quite a few more important papers that have not been touched yet. It all comes down to resources. Now, if you could get people in Bendigo - historians, genealogists, local council, local businessmen - to make a finanical offer to NLA, you might get somewhere faster. Or if there is a University department with a particular interest in the Victorian goldfields?

I think we all have our own newspapers from certain areas that we would love to see made available on here. I too have a preference to see the Bendigo Advertiser made available; also the Sandhurst Bee.
    I'm also hoping that the Mount Alexander Mail will be digitised in the not too distant future. This paper covers Castlemaine and surrounding areas.
    These newspapers are a great Victorian goldfield treasure trove and definitely warrant inclusion.
    I myself have suggested that these newspapers be considered for digitisation quite recently.
    Regards,
    Julie.

Prolific poster
    My personal wants are the "Swan Express" and the "Lutheran Herald", but I imagine that I would be waiting a long time for them, and I have not applied for them. NLA has the Swan Express on microform (film or fiche?), but even if I could buy it, where would I be able to read it? And NLA's run of the Lutheran Herald is incomplete; I think that the only full run available to the public is in SLSA. It is vital to anybody writing on the history of Germans in Australia during the period when it was published. Any resource of which only one copy is extant is an endangered species. (The Swan Express is purely a private want.)

Prolific poster
    I have just noticed on another thread a reference to the Ballarat Star on Trove. If so, a lot of the Bendigo material in which you might be interested could be in the Ballarat paper. (Maybe you had already identified this, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.)

Any digitalise access to newspapers (and other docs) dealing with Central Victoria (1850-1954) is essential for the range of thoughtful readers, and indeed, dedicated researchers across fields ... history, demography, politics, law enforcement, IR, mining, sociology (e.g., cultural adaptations), etc. It was a place and time - emphatically, a spectacular watershed - which had significant flow-on implications for the subsequent development of other Australian regions and towns, not to mention some capital cities. For starters, let's have full exposure digital access to ALL the newspapers of this region!

A number of the newspapers have and are being digitised using external funds. In particular I draw people's attention to the "Digitise the Dawn" campaign:

http://digitisethedawn.org/

which successfully raised the funds needed to digitise The Dawn newspaper. About half the funds was raised from individuals (myself included) and about half from organisations.

You don't have to raise the funds for the entire digitisation in one hit; you could start with fund-raising to digitise just a particularly significant range of years.