Thread: Posting Personal Diaries Here

Posting Personal Diaries Here

Is Trove a site for posting personal diaries?

Trove is a site that searches across the collections of about 1200 collecting institutions around Australia.

The items in the Diaries, letters and archives zone are manuscripts, personal papers, business records, etc. that are held in libraries, archives, universities etc. around Australia, not personal records posted by individuals.
    Mark
    Trove Support
    National Library of Australia

Historical diaries and other "heritage documents" are often collected by state libraries/museums/archives or their local government equivalents. I'd suggest contacting your local state library in the first instance. Here's what a few of our state libraries have to say:

Qld from http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/coll/qhist/manq/manqfaq

If you have material that you think may be a valuable addition to the State Library’s collection please contact us. This may be a box of old family letters and photographs, the records of your association, club or business, or an historical Queensland painting.

Tas from http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/global/ab...ting/tolinctas

The personal and family records we collect are those that have long-term value to the community. This includes letters, reminiscences, diaries, scrapbooks, photo albums, professional papers, speeches, lectures, business records, genealogical information, films, videos and audiotapes. We also collect records of an individual’s civic, business, religious, political and social activities.

And, of course, once the diary appears in the catalogue of a state library, it will sooner or later appear in Trove, at least as meta-data.

Thanks for your comments here on personal diaries, Kerry. I've been keeping a personal diary for more than 25 years, but its relevance in the short term to collections in state and local libraries is highly questionable. I'll keep it for the family and the Baha'i community I have been assoicated with for nearly 60 years. -Ron Price, Tasmania
    Last edited by RonPrice; 01-01-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: to add some words

Quote Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
    Cityville hack
    Thanks for your comments here on personal diaries, Kerry. I've been keeping a personal diary for more than 25 years, but its relevance in the short term to collections in state and local libraries is highly questionable. I'll keep it for the family and the Baha'i community I have been assoicated with for nearly 60 years. -Ron Price, Tasmania Microsoft Points codes
    I've recently used Trove to locate a lot of information on a very distant relative, some of which definitely appear to come from a personal diary or other less formal medium, due to the significance of the individual from whom the diary has come!

By this I suppose what I am trying to say RonPrice is that while you may feel that the short term relevance to collections and libraries is questionable, you never know where your diary may be in the future!
    Last edited by Reedboy; 29-02-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Belated thanks, Reedboy, for your post. I'm still working out what to do with my diaries.-Ron