In 2010 we noticed that Ravelry, the very popular international online community of knitters and crocheters, had a section dedicated to patterns found in Trove. Back in 2010 when the first Trove news item was written they had collected 91 patterns from the digitised newspapers and the Women’s Weekly. This collection has grown to 681, though with searches of Trove for this material numbering into the tens of thousands, there’s much still to add. This may, however, explain why three years later, Ravelry sits at number ten in the list of website referrals to Trove.

The ‘Ravelers’ have formed a group dedicated to discussing the patterns they find in Trove and entering them into the Ravelry pattern database. The group has 160 members who come from far and wide, including from Belgian, The Netherlands, Iceland, the United States, Great Britain and Norway, to name but a few.

They discuss things a wide variety of subjects knitting and crochet related, but they don’t just discuss the art of yarn. I stumbled across a thread called ‘Cooking my way through Trove’, which includes videos and pictures of their efforts. The chilli cordial must have been a taste sensation! There’s another thread called Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake, which started with a recipe for a date cake from The Queenslander, 19 January 1942.

Happily, they’ve been branching out of the digitised newspapers and are exploring other Trove zones. One member discovered that the State Library of Victoria has pdfs of old knitting books in their collection.

As I’m writing this post, the latest pattern which has been found in Trove and added to their collection is called Dainty Finishings for a Winter Frock and was found in an edition of The West Australian from August 4th 1937. The most popular pattern found in Trove would appear to be this Elegant Elephant
from a 1959 edition of the Women’s Weekly. Other popular patterns include a Square Knitted Cross and a pair of lacy gloves.

You need to be a member of Ravelry to visit the group, but signing up is easy and free. The group is called Trove, and if you’re interested in knitting or crochet, or interested in seeing how fashion has changed over the years, it’s well worth checking out.

It’s wonderful to see a dedicated and passionate group of people like the Ravelers making the most of Trove.